Thursday, October 21, 2010

PROMISES

When we started out to drive into Vancouver for dad's eye appointment the day looked very promising.  Then crossing the bridge we drove right into a patch of fog.  I could feel the chill in the car.  What happened to the promising day.  As quickly as it appeared before us it was gone.  I had tried to take pictures in the moving car but it was not easy.

When we give our word and promise to do something it is so important that we keep it.  Dad has promised to help set up for the harvest dinner today and I have promised to make stuffing.  As a child I would tearfully promise to be good and  would often fail.  As an adult I promised myself that I would do my best to live as a Christian.  I have failed.  I am so thankful that God has promised to be merciful, forgiving and compassionate.

"Your failures may ultimately be as important as your success.  Failing means you had the courage to try."  God has promised in His Word to be a strength to the fainthearted and to lift us up when we fall.  I see the promises of scripture revealing the heart that beats even in mystery.

Have I discovered the plan that God has for my life?  Does He indeed have a plan?  I know as a parent I had great hopes for the future of each one of my children but because of their personalities and the things they had to learn by making their own choices in life I would have no more influence on them as they left home.

We all strive to be true to our words and I am sure my children would like to know that I am proud of them, and I am, because I wanted my parents to be proud of me.

I have a little box called a Promise Box that I bring out every once in awhile.  It was a gift from a very special person named Pearle.  She has been a great encourager to me and still is to this day.

Promises are soul food.  Could I be a spiritual person without the promises of scripture?  No, I would be adrift in a world of conflicting values.  The promises of God are things that will happen as I do my part.  I need to be discerning with humility and gentleness.

"Show me Your Ways O Lord, teach me Your paths [for me] and guide me in Your Truth and teach me.  For You are God, my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long."  Psalm 25:4,5

Salvation means wholeness through the healing love of the Holy Spirit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is all very fine and good that you are proud of us, but what of being proud of yourself? Why is it such a sin to see your self as having done well instead of as a failure. Why do Christains have such a hard time balanceing between self afacing little gramas and boastfull tv avangelists? Mom, I will be the proxy vote for your mom and I am very proud of you and you have done a great job with the life an talents and the body that god has given you. YEAH MOM!!!!!!!!!! Sandra

larry bennett said...

Well said daughter of mine - if mom is full of sin what hope is there for the rest of us!?

PS - most of those Tv guys obviously didnt believe in the bible - because if they did many wuld be sure they would be roasting in hell for a long time.

dad

Anonymous said...

true that Sandra.
ken