Tuesday, October 12, 2010

OPINIONS

This is Carol and Morgan talking on Skype to Ken, Melina ,Matt and Jassy
We all came hungry and happy to be together at the home of Sandra and Randy.  Randy was the happiest because his son Mich was here for a few days visiting.  Dinner was absolutely perfect and everything tasted so good.  But it was not long before we all started airing our opinions about the state of the world and then about what type of school one should send your child to.
Theresa has chosen a school for Ben that she drives to each day because the teachers and the parents are committed to education.  Dad see the disadvantage is that he does not know the children in his own area which because they live close to down-town there are not as many as if they lived in a sub-divsion and a cul-de-sack.  As parents we all want the best for our children.  Times have changed very much since we were free to place outside for hours and roam far and wide; especially when we were able to ride bikes.  I was taught not to talk to strangers, maybe I should remember that more on my walks, but there was not a big concern about this.

Over the years words have been used to articulate our beliefs and our traditions.  A lot of communication is done by the writen word, like the newspaper, magazines, books etc.  Even the words we hear in our songs stay in our minds at times. 

We express our feelings and our needs in words as we strive to articulate our inner life with our outward action.  I am what I have observed and been taught and have absorbed especially from the books I read.
What does it really mean when the Bible describes Jesus as the living word?  Living means that it is alive and his words have the power to transform the soul.  Living words inspire us and embody the spirit.  I am not alone in wanting to find authenticity.

There is a current belief that we cannot trust those in authority in govnerment and in religion and this is causing erosion in many of our churches.  We want to be able to express our mind in all matters and this can cause hurt feelings at times.  At least I admit that my feelings have been hurt by what people have said to me.  Like many other things I need to let it go and get over it.

Universities I believe were started to teach theology but have branched out into history, science, philosoply, human behavior, the law and rights of individuals and society.  We have been encouraged to learn from the past but be open to a new future.

I think I grew up in a wonderful time and at times I wish my grandchildren could have the same freedom and joy of being a child that I experienced.  I feel that they are growing up too fast and they know so much more about life than I did.  Reading has the potential for them as it did for me to broaden my life.  I especially enjoyed reading to my children and my grand-children.  I find it impossible to walk by a book store and I am so thankful for libraries where I can take out twenty or more books.

Right now I have a pile of books and I know I cannot possibly read them all.  The book I got about Thankfulness was far to wordy and complicated.

Errors in Holy Scripture?  The word "metanoette" in Mathew 3:2 was translated as do penance which lead to confession of sin but when we read it to me repent we see that it means an inner change of action that will bring us salvation.  This was the whole debate that Luther started in 1517 as he challenged the church of his day.

Words are spiritual and political and there are politics in all our churches and this is why there are problems.
At times I think I have the answer to solve some one else's problems but I really do not if I have no idea of their experiences and the woundedness of their souls.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You must have gotten up early this morning mom, lots of writing on and on different subjects. I am glad that you enjoyed dinner. It is always hard to tell if it is good or not when you do the cooking as buy the time I get to sit down and eat it is almost time to jump up and start on desert. But a good debate (or lecture) after a meal always helps the digestion along. Sandra