Saturday, April 9, 2011

LENT




Life for me has always been a very spiritual journey. Maybe I seem a little strange to my children but it is just who I am.   One of the very important times in the Christian year are the 40 days of Lent.  I remember how we always had pancakes for supper on Ash Wednesday and then I would try to think of something I would give up for the next 40 days until Easter.  It would be more meaningful if you gave up something that you really loved. 

Jesus gave up his life, freely embracing the cross, transforming the meaning of suffering and brokenness into a miracle of new life.

In our natural world of our own imperfections and those of others we experience pain and sadness.  Everyday we are travelling through life to death, with these burdens weighing heavy up us.

Spiritually I believe that I am travelling from the death of innocence and darkness towards a dazzking light of a joyous life full of color and transforming grace!

I have not given up anything for Lent this year but I have tried to open my heart a little more
 to love with more compassion, to be a little more patient and kind.

1 comment:

nancy-Lou said...

Interesting writings once again Beth......kindness and compassion shine through in your daily living. You do so much for others who are in need. Giving time to others is one of the most giving things you could do....think about when you were a child and what you remember the most. For me the time my Father spent reading stories to me every night and as a small child bathing me and washing my hair are fond memories....TIME he chose to spend with me. Giving of your time makes those in need, such as your sad neighbour feel that someone really does care. You do Beth and lead the way for others as well. Blessings of