Saturday, April 9, 2011

THE NOISE


There are many different noises that we hear as we go through our day.  Early this morning the bird is drilling away at our chimney stack and making a very loud noise.  I have seen it doing it on other roof tops.  The birds have started singing and my heart smiles glad to hear their enjoying the spring-like weather.  Dad will be turning his radio on soon so I know he is waking up.  All is quiet on the street this early in the morning but soon the children's voices will be heard and cars coming and going.  You get use to the noises that you live with each day, even the noise of my computer as it hums away when I turn it on.  I like the noise of our little water-fall that is a happy yet gentle sound that waits for me as I open the back door. 

There are noises I miss.  I miss the church bells ringing out on Sunday morning.  Our church is now silent and I wonder if all churches have ceased ringing their bells.  I miss hearing some of the old favorite songs that I grew up listening to and enjoy it when the radio plays some of these golden oldies.

Today we will be off to home depot to check out dirt and fertilizer.  I want to plant the flower that is my picture today.  Theresa gave me a plant just like this many years ago and I have wanted to replace here in our new garden.

Yesterday I shared the sadness of my neighbor on our walk together and I am thankful for our friendship.  I also did my nursing home visiting and heard stories from the past.  I try to prepare myself with prayer.

Yes the world is a noisy place but I know I need to take time to listen with compassion.

No comments: