Sunday, April 1, 2012

JEWISH LITERACY

Actually it was one of those days when dad and I looked at each other and thought the other was weird and dad said: "Why can"t you relax".  I said: "Maybe going out would do us good."

We had another quiet day yesterday, for me almost boring.  Dad's nose is still dripping and he does not feel like going out.  I went for two walks in the morning and afternoon it was cold and raining.  Went to the grocery store to have a lively talk with a clerk. 

We were cheered up by a visit with Ken and the children on skype.  We also had some D.V.D.'s on Frasier which made us laugh.  I am thankful that today we are going out with Sandra and Randy for lunch to celebrate his birthday.  I am really looking forward to this.  I get  a little squirrelly being in the house all day but did not feel like driving anywhere by myself.

I had this book to read and some notes for our book study to-night.  I seem to be able to read a little then I get sleepy and that annoys me.

This is one of the biggest books I have ever taken out from the library.  I am tempted yo say I lost it and keep it, but that would not be  ethical so I guess I will just have to read some of it.  I love the Jewish sense of humor, that I believe Jesus also, possessed.  I love how they answer questions with a story.  It is also helpful in understanding Jesus and his background culture and the religious beliefs at his time.

So many of us are illiterate when it comes to religion.

"An immense amount of information in a small space, 756 pages, with clarity, fairness and a touch of humor."  Rabbi Harold Kushner

It is organized by subjects.
Beliefs, Ethics and Rituals.
History and Contemporary life.
Jewish Life cycles and Holidays.
It contrasts Christian belief with Jewish interpretation.
It begins at the beginning with the Story of Adam and Eve.  Marriage was difficult even in the beginning.  One reason was their strange view of God; but how else can you explain your existence in a world that is harsh and difficult.  Work was your life; but you told the story of a beautiful garden in which you should be living and one day return to.  It is not about original sin but about hope!

And what caused all this you ask?  Listening to a negative view of God who punishes disobedience and banishes people from his presence.  No wonder they had a view of God that demanded sacrifice as an act of worship.  They were so fearful of this powerful God they would not even call him by name.
In fact he ended up with all sorts of different names that described different attributes.

Why did Abraham leave home?  The story goes his father sold idols in his store; so one day Abraham thinking how silly to have so many gods went in and broke them all except one.  What have you done his father wanted know.  "If these idols cannot save themselves then we are superior to them.
 :
So why do we worship idols was Abraham's reply

From Moses experience of God asking him what his name is; the answer is "Ehyeh-asher-ehyeh."  Scholars are not sure of it's meaning but Mozes seems to be okay with it and from this we learn each one of us may experience God privately and that God shall be what God shall be to that person.

The story about Abraham binding his son Issac is not about his binding him and putting him on the alter but to  say "God does not want human sacrifice."
At one time the most important thing for a Jew was to be free to worship God where ever they were.

Of course the book of Job questions why does God allow evil.  We have to learn to accept the unfairness of life and keeping trusting the goodness of God that renews us and continues to give us hope!

The study of religions has the potential to help us discover God's faithfulness, his love for each one of us, the ability to understand human nature which does not seem to change much, we still have liars, and cheaters and deceivers, so the important thing is to understand yourself and to try to be more compassionate in all we do!
I am reading scripture in church today which I am nervous about but I will do my best.  A Jew would feel that the reading of scripture is a great blessing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am glad Randy is home and forcing me out of the house. Did a nice walk in the rain last night just as it was getting dark. Very quite on the trails under the powerlines. Oh, and started some Dahlias indoors just in case Shawna wants to get married this summer. Sandra

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you yesterday. Hope your weather improves. Still very pleasent here We both have the day off today.
Ken