Sunday, February 17, 2013

BOOKS

                            Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend,
 inside a dog it's too dark to read.-Groucho Mark
I love books.  I am always tempted to empty the library and end up taking as many as I can carry with the help of dad.  The library is one of our favorite haunts and I want it to available and well used.  I also love going to the book store and usually end up buying at least one.

So for now I have had enough of the Old Testament although it too can speak into our hearts and reveal some of the hidden darkness there.

Now I am focusing on Jesus.  I usually read a religious book along side a book of fiction and both can be a blessing.  Jane has given me the book "The Kashmir Shawl" by Rosie Thomas which I will be starting to read and the I have "The Hidden Jesus" by Donald Spoto. 

C.S.Lewis said, "I thought I had come to a place, but I found out I had come to a person."

A person who really lived and walked among us and who had a passion for life and for truth,  He was not always understood but as I read again his life and death I find his words transform and heal and comfort me. 

Who knew when dad and I volunteered to be in the nursery at the Vineyard Church, chasing two year old Tavia around that she would end up keeping in touch and  coming to visit us regularly.  This she did on Friday night 20 years later.  She is very helpful and just like family looks to see what is to eat in the frig.  We had a roasted chicken and salad from the store so no worries about cooking.  She also ate lots of chocolate and she brought us up to date on her life which she is very funny.  She has a bike on the ceiling of her tiny apartment in the living room and her gramma's rocking chair on the ceiling of the bedroom.  She also has a drum set and a table set up for her art work.  Her passion is for Jesus and for music right now.  When we visit we will bring our own camping chairs.  O to be young again!  Not!

Had a good visit on the phone with Theresa, Ben and Morgan.  Everyone is so busy so it was good to catch up.
 
We had a story book ending to our day Saturday when Tasha and Justice came knocking on our door for a visit.  We had just gotten home from a pleasant lunch out with Jane and Geof.  We had gone to the golf course just off No. 10.  The one Ken worked at years ago.

Busy day today, church, then a birthday tea for Shirley followed by a birthday dinner for dad at Sandra and Randy's.   Time is the most precious gift we can give one another whether by a note or a phone call or a visit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence. I gave a speech at Toastmasters on Thursday night and opened it with the exact same Groucho Marx quote thsat you just used in today's blog. Carol adn I found a home for Gem with a nice older British lady. I have to help her put up some fencing in the back yard so that Gem is sure to be safe, and we are very happy with her new mommy.

Today we play volleyball for the afternoon, then will try to catch everyone on Skype before we head out for dinner, or maybe after we come home since we are 3 hours ahead. Kim is coming to stay with us for the week this week.

Love Panteli

Sandra said...

Great news that you found a home for Gem, it it another transient though, so not a permanent home? Went over to Maple Ridge and looked at some houses. We liked one, but we were a little bit confused not really knowing what part of town we were ever in. Sandra

Anonymous said...

Groucho - a well know theologian.

Nice that Tasha and Justice came by. Did Tasha have stories about being a bus driver?

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

We left the beach just in time yesterday, but still got caught in a torrential downpour as we arrived at our hotel. Matthew and I jumped into the pool , Jasmine was a bit tentative to go into the Heavy rain. We then went into the inside pool where melina jumped in as well as she was soaked. Rain storms in the tropics are great. Today not so nice again.
Tyler made it home from his tassie adventure. Brit may come down today.
Ken