Sunday, February 10, 2013

GOOD AND EVIL

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.-Mark Twain

Black and white fire is poetic license because nothing is ever black or white. Fire is alive.

God speaks out of the fire of the burning bush and the fire of faith burns in the hearts of the new believers in the New Testament.

 

Sunday morning I am awake early again.I   tried very hard to sleep in but find I am wide awake as usual.   Dad on the other hand wants to wake up earlier but not as early as me! Yesterday was a good day but very quiet on my walk even the morning joggers seemed to have slept in.  Early morning coffee goers are out as usual.


.Sandra was off writing her exam on Sat. morning.  Dad and I drop by to see her and meet Mandy and James and get a noisy reception from the dogs.  James leaves to referee a hockey game which he is well qualified to do.  It was good to go out for a drive and visit Chapters we have been just been staying home but starting slowly to get back to normal.  Normal  for us!

Dad went to bed early with a bad back ache hopefully that will be gone with morning.  I want to get back going to church.  It seems like ages since I have gone.  Tonight we are finally having our book club get together so we will have an afternoon nap. 
 
I am trying to understand the Bible and the story of Abraham as it was written as there always seems to be debates about religion in a negative way.
The surrounding culture at the time of Abraham may have believed in the sacrifice of the firstborns to appease the gods.  Abraham, was prevented from doing this evil deed, by the inner voice of God.  The message is clear that children are to be protected. 

Ishmael, his other son was sent away but again the story says that God protects the child.

The Jewish and the Muslim and the Christian faiths all have included these stories in their sacred texts.  Maybe by understanding the deeper meanings there is hope for peace. 

I am reminded that we all have our prejudices and have misunderstood these ancient texts.  It is the willingness to know God's love and to live it out right in our own circumstances, learning from the mistakes of the past.  All the hero's had their faults as we all do.  Good and evil still casts a shadow on all our hearts.

"When God becomes our shepherd, our refuge, our fortress, then we reach out to him in our times of pain and worry."  Finding a place of peace brings a healing presence that enables and strengthens.  Mary, we love you and pray our words and prayers will comfort you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was not able to sleep in either, the furnace making that banging noisy bothers me.Plus the dogs wanted out, Missy was sitting on me and Randy is working days so he was up early too. Today will try and rake some more of the garden, get it ready for spring.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Getting back to normal is good. For me, I like it when the days are longer. That's when I feel more like normal.

I hope Mary will be fine.

Love,

Rick

beth bennett said...

I did like your sense of humor Rick about the black and white writing,
love mom

Anonymous said...

And a Canucks victory over the worst team in the league can it get any better!
Ken
Oh and prayers for Mary hope she feels better soon.