Saturday, June 29, 2013

GOOD NEWS


Everyone likes to hear good news.  Dad's blood work looks good but one test omitted but still goog news.
P6231521

I am pleased that this Friday  morning is sunny.  I wake up to the sound of crows squawking in our back yard.  I was pretty sure it was not Good News but the raccoon messing up our pond.  I opened the door and they flew away and I could see the pond had been pulled apart.  The hose was not attached to the motor. Dad fixed it later in the day.

Dad had  a busy day trying to help his cousin Eileen's son get his car windows fixed.  Mark arrived at the window shop with water pouring out of his car as the water hose was broken, so it meant he had to go to the garage to get that attended to first.  It is good the places where close together.  Dad and Mark had breakfast together and learned a little more about the family. 

Dad and I will visit at the hospital to-morrow.  I am writing Friday night after we had supper out with Carol and Panteli at the Green Lettuce.  They will be moving back to there own place on Sat. and I believe Sandra and Randy return home at midnight.  Tired but happy new grand parents.

Talked to Ken on Viper as he was on his way to work.  Melina is enjoying her training so that is good

Dad watched football and tennis.  Said the Lions were terrible.

Working out in the yard I yearn for the good old days when I could not tell a weed from a flower.  I look now and keep seeing more and more weeds.  The gardener who does the neighbor's yard compliments me again on my front garden and so does the mailman or mail person who is a lady.

Theresa is in a cricket tournament in West Van on Sat. and Sunday.  Theresa is picking her up and they will go together.   Dad and I will not be up to going.  Carol and Panteli are playing baseball again but not this week-end.  Carol and a group of friends are going for a walk at the bird sanctuary at Ladner on Sun.

What good is philosophy?  It does seem to contradict itself (hmm so does the Bible) but that does not make it all bad.  Contradictions add to the mystery of truth and can even be celebrated according to author Parker J. Palmer.  I guess I should add reading to my hobbies.

I think that philosophy seems to be wanting us to pursue happiness.  Not just happiness as understood as pleasure and the absence of pain.  Then again we each find happiness in difference ways, some in sports, some in entertainment, some in a good book or others like to party and be with a group.  We flourish as we engage with the world and achieve certain goals.

Respect seems to be a important value as well as liberty giving us all the chance to flourish.  Conformity may offer happiness but does it offer self-realization; which is not good when it harms others.  Philosophers differ on many things especially on what is happiness.

"The church is now in the process of moving beyond past traditions, seeking new answers that rejuvenate theology with a quest, not just for answers not just for happiness but finding beauty in new truth"  from The Church on the Other Side.

Jesus said that putting new wine in old wine skins will never work.  I cannot remember ever hearing a sermon on these verses.  Certainly old ways of communicating are past history and the church as some catching up to do.

It is not always easy to know what is the good and right thing to do but I do my best.

Saturday morning and it is going to be warm today.  This is good news for some people but I hope it does not get too hot.  This morning the ground is wet and no sign of the bright sun so far,  Off for breakfast, quiet prayer time. writing in my journal and then for a walk.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Starting out good for me Carol and Panteli are volunteering to do some work in the garden. 

After visiting Eileen, a long hot walk, to go from the parking lot next door to the hospital we both rested and then dad cleaned out to shade deck.  I have no energy to do things late in the day.

So here I go pressing publish again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are of to a wedding in Vancouver today . We don't go to many weddings. Memorial services seem more in our line these days. the bride and groom have been living together for the last 7 years but l gather the bride wants to have children . they are having a catholic ceremony. How times have changed Anyway we are looking forward it, and willspend the night at






























kiera's and go to the Unitarian church on Sunday . See you next week. can you come to lunch July 2nd. here.Love ,Jane.

Anonymous said...

Cricket? West Side? West side of Vancouver?

I'm back home.

Love,

Rick

beth bennett said...

Yes Jane we would love to come to lunch.
Cricket was in West Van.

P added to the blog.
love mom