Monday, June 10, 2013

WORTH IT.

P6071266

I see this dogwood tree coming out in full bloom as I am about three blocks from home.  Right away I wish I had my camera and then decide it would be worth going back home just to get it and capture this trees beauty for others to see.

P6071267
 
I believe there is a story behind these blooms because they are cross-like.
 
As I plan my day I decide it would be worth it for me to miss church with two gatherings to attend.
First it is off to Jane and Geof's to say good-bye to old friends who are moving back to England.  It was a happy group that enjoyed feasting and telling stories.  Then came the time for jokes and I thought I would have some jokes to tell at our family gathering later but they were pretty wild and crazy.  It was good to laugh when we were feeling the sadness of Pat and Jim leaving us.  They had really brought the neighbors together with celebrations at Christmas and their caring friendship.
 
Dad and I drove right from their to Sandra and Randy's only to see Randy driving off in a puff of smoke evidently for a missing ingredient.    D0 we have the right day or the wrong time we ask our selves  No we just happened to be the first to arrive.  Next would be Craig and Leah full of stories and both looking very good; we never know if Leah is here or in Kamloops, but now she is settling back here again.  Before you know it  will be time for their wedding. 
 
Randy's daughter Mandy and her husband joined soon after.  A big change for them both coming from Edmonton and finding work here and a place to live.  Carol and Panteli came bringing a super salad both healthy and tasty.  Kim arrived last driving in from Chilliwack and after spending the week-end camping in Kelowna.  She was our birthday girl.
 
Happy Birthday Kim!
 
I had passed the morning doing some Bible reading and was wondering if anyone thinks reading the Bible is worth it these days.   Yes, the Old Testament can be nasty and has even made me mad at times.  Was my anger directed at scripture, or the church, or at the lack of compassion and mercy in the voices of those telling the tales.
 
I still believe that it is worth it to know what the scripture actually says and to see where conventional religious thinking has lead us.
 
What I am searching for is a faith worth believing in.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

If you are of the mind to follow a religion then I think you should read it's teachings. Better for you to know and understand rather than trusting to another's translation. I am glad that our family dinner was worth the trade off of missing church. I have to admit Randy and I spent more time in White Rock then we planned once we saw there was a car show. Sandra

Anonymous said...

very busy day with fog again in Sydney. Matthew , not well , and Jesse as well. The ice hockey is on this weekend , Canada vs USA . Melina and I have a hotel booked for Friday night, Nonna is looking after the kids. Ken

beth bennett said...

Good on Nonna and good you two will spend time together.
Hope all goes well. love mom