Wednesday, June 26, 2013

PHILOSOPHY

Dad and I went up to visit his cousin Eileen at the hospital. The decision will be treatment or palliative care. I was impressed with her honesty, her courage and dignity. Dad is a big support to her son, Mark, who has been her care-giver. Tough times ahead and she knows the end is coming, It is hard to say good-bye to those we love.

Love lives on in memories.

P6211506
Can religion instead of trying to make us more religious give us a new philosophy of what a Christian or a spiritual seeker looks like.  I ma not sure what philosophy is but I do believe it is a process of radical self-assessment that grows out of past roots and out of family values and greater knowledge about everything.
P6211502
Or are people just too disillusioned with “religion” as presented by the media etc. 

I know I need wonder and delight and surprise in my life and this is where my faith has given me surprises of joy, beauty and hope.

"To be prepared against surprise is to be trained.
 To be prepared for surprise is to be educated."   -James P. Carse.
.
When I wander deeper into the mess of trees I am surprised to fine this little flower.
P6211503
I need an anchor that will hold me in the storms of life.  I have found that even old age has been a surprise to me as health can change so quickly and you just are not as strong as you once were.  For me it means people coming over, bringing food and helping themselves.  That is the way I like it for people just to help themselves.

My philosophy is that life has meaning and that faith is learned through teaching and reading and through experiences.  A full range of experiences!  Life and death.  Joy and sorrow.  We are here to help one another.

"Philosophy, the love of wisdom, is the product of our endless fascination and curiosity about the world-the child of wonder.  Through it we seek to answer the most fundamental of questions:
How do we know what we know?
Does God exist?
What is beauty?
How should we live our lives,
Who am I?
Can a robot be human?"
--Paul Snowdon-Grote Professor of mind and logic.

Dad and U are taking the minister out to lunch today.  His wife is away.

I hope dad's hip is not so painful today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

H0W Thoughtful of you to take Daniel out to lunch
whilst Loretta is away. l know he misses her a lot .l think she is an anchor for him.l Sam and l both have to go to Andy my son in law for dental work today , not my favorite kind of visit ,but afterwards we will have lunch with daughter Sue and Andy so that sweetens the pot somewhat. Love Jane.














Sandra said...

On our way to Sarnia, hard to leave Simone behind.