Monday, June 24, 2013

SEEKER DRIVEN

P6211500
 
                                 We often take our happiness and our safety for granted..

"Change itself has changed, thereby changing the rules by which we live.  Our theology, our ways of doing ministry, (the clergy say) don't seem to work or fit anymore.  We need hope they say."  Don't we all. What is needed is to see past frustration and stagnation  glimpse a new future it would give us all hope.
 from The Church On The Other Side by Brian McLaren

What is being discovered and painted as a vivid and inspiring picture is a church that is seeker driven.  I feel that our church is aiming to do just this by having continuous study groups and discussions and also time for the children to ask the minister any and all the questions they can think of. 
 
In all my years of going to church with different health problems ranging from depression to cancer I have never had a minister come to visit me at my home and offer to pray for me.  Actually dad had a visit many years ago.  My home group leader and his wife did and the group brought us many meals and also visited.  I am amazed at how available and willing our minster Daniel is to do this.  I feel he really cares.
 
We are living in a different age than any before us and yet we face the same problems with health and family and financial needs. I appreciated the message Sunday that reminded us to be who we are, just be yourself, which I try to do on my blog and do not concern myself about what others may think.  Yes we all have our quirks and quarks!
 
I also like the message about Jesus and the way he broke through the taboos of his day travelling to a Gentile country and also praying for a man with many demons.  He would then be accepted back in the community and it is important that we feel a part of a community.  Well, it is for me.
 
I accept my limitations and also my differences and try to be open to my need to change. 
 
The question the book asks is if a spiritual seeker entered our church would they feel like God was out dated and out of touch.  in fact they have entered a tine-warp?  The important thing is would God or Jesus feel at home there?

Monday morning and it is raining.  Good day to finish my library book by Anne   Perry.
 

2 comments:

larry bennett said...

Yes it is amazing, often the difference between the positive, loud, clothed in the love of Jesus leader proudly striding back and forth on the stage before his "flock", telling them what to think and believe - and that same little man who cannot find the time to visit one of the flock when she is in real need.

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

Then there are the few that show the love of Christ by their actions.

larry bennett said...

Ps that quote is from the book of James (most believe to be the brother of Jesus) Ch 2.