Saturday, June 22, 2013

TEA TIME

Wed. afternoon tea time at Colebrook Church
P6191476

The church looked lovely and colorful and a cozy warm  feeling filled the room.
It is amazing what a lot of willing volunteers can do, learning to work together to bring beauty and a welcome feeling into the hall.  I laughed one year as the napkins were put on one way and then someone came and rearranged them all.  It is important to see the humour in all things!

Many cups of tea and lots of laughter and chatter and even the minister seemed to have a fun time.

The only helping I do is to sit behind the table and sell books.  I know that I would spill the tea if I was pouring or just get in the way in the kitchen so the best place is sitting out of the busy traffic.

What I am try to say is that we are just an ordinary group of people with eccentric ways, and strong opinions and yes a stubborn humanness,  A Christian is not a perfectly mature person but one that has faults and also experienced difficulties in their lives.

We all  need to grow in our trust of others and in our trust of God.
 Learning to work together and use our individual gifts is important.

 Everyone who performs an act of goodness, wisdom, justice and beauty is doing the will of God and being empowered by the spirit even if they do not recognize it. The scripture says all good gifts flow from heaven which I think of is a good place somewhere that is touching all our lives.
 
We have been to some crazy churches, in the past, but what made them seem crazy was their openness to admit that they were vulnerable and broken people.  They have come from unstable backgrounds and realize their need for the mercy and grace of God. 

  In many ways it was unstructured but a lively place to be.  We made some dear friends who if I met today I would give them a big hug!

The church is called to be a place where questions can be asked and doubts expressed.  There will be differences in what each one of us believes and the important thing is the willingness to keep on learning.  Do it all prayerfully and with grace.

People from the community come and join us in our tea time because they feel comfortable.  It would be good if we could create this atmosphere on Sunday morning.  Coming  together to be drawn into the mystery of God can be scary until we just relax and be ourselves.

On Sunday as we gather to pray and to listen to what we call the Word of God  I like it when there are times of silence and quiet meditation.  Time to enjoy the music and the creative artwork. Time to admit that within us our spiritual needs that are very real and have life and purpose of their own.

 Many, many years ago people did not own their own Bibles so they gathered together in community to hear it read aloud. 

A simple verse like the one from Leviticus (yes that Old Testament full of angry prophets and fighting and killing) says "Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your  people, but love your neighbor as yourself.  I am the Lord."

We all have to begin simply learning to love those in our family and then in our church and then in our community and then in our country.

One definition of love would include a sharing of purpose and common interests.
 
 What could be complicated about loving your neighbor? 
What can be complicated about setting a table for tea; well it is when people have different ideas.

Who decides what is loving and what is not?  Kind words are important and being aware that some people's feelings may be hurt more easily helps us to try and guard our tongues.
.
There is a continuous  invitation from Jesus to follow his words,  even when we do not understand even with all our doubts and questions.  I have found our church to be a very loving and caring place.

Here I sit after a frustration time with my computer.  I wanted to correct errors from the day before. Nothing is working but dad helps and the problem is mysteriously fixed.  I think it is mysterious anyway.

Today when the sun finally came out dad went for a bike ride, I had a visit with the neighbors over the way and then both dad and I did some work in the front yard.  Then we took our books and read in the sunny back garden.  Before we knew it was time for tea!

I rewrite my words early this morning and the day is looking clear and ideal for my walk.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

So no blog yesterday? You made up for it today. A cup of tea is always a good way to visit. I am trying to get me tea in every night but sometimes just get too tired. Soon I will be back at work. But before that Randy comes, I am sure he is excited to meet Simone as he loved being a dad. Sandra

Anonymous said...

Yes, there have been nice people in all the churches you have gone too. Especially the Vineyard guitar player fellow who went to Cleveland. And the pastor at the Mennonite church, he was nice too.

Many ways to god.

Love,

Rick