Friday, June 28, 2013

SURVIVAL

P6271556Here is a page from my journal.

The paper reports that the art of writing long hand is no longer required teaching in more and more schools.  Hard to believe because I also think that thoughts in long hand are good for the brain.


P6261545

Here is the computer where I transfer some of my thoughts from my hand written journal.  Yes, Rick I am still doing them.

Evidently, we survive being ourselves as long as we carry within our souls memories of our past.  The self is “a bundle of perceptions” of experiences, thoughts, memories and intentions.
When I went into the hospital in what appeared to be a confused and helpless state I was asked over and over again if I knew who I was and where I was.  I do not remember the first few times being asked but was told I answered correctly.  To survive it is important to believe in yourself and to remember your story.

Cousin Eileen is being asked the same questions and more to see if she is capable of making her own decision about refusing treatment.  This is why a living will is so important.

'The focus on survival is likely to cause wonderment at survival's end.  We (maybe controversially) assume here that death is complete annihilation.  Now if we see our temporal continuation as a sequence of selves with varying degrees of similarity and connectedness, we are undergoing little deaths, so to speak much of the time."  -Paul Snowden

The question is can the soul continue to exist after death?   Some would say this is just superstition or a desperate attempt to grab more in this life.  Death will come to us all.  Can we be harmed before our birth or after our death?  "Death may still be required to give life meaning, to provide structure and substance to life, conditions necessary for engendering a good life, a flourishing life-a life that leads to a topic of reflection."  -Paul Snowden

Dad panicked today when he went to pay for a  new mirror for the car and had no wallet.  He had taken it out when he sat down in the big chair upstairs.  I looked and looked and it was the last place I looked.  He was at the glass place and mentioned Craig’s name and then they trusted him.
It can also be who you know.
 
Philosophy can say I survive by remembering Who I Am. 

P6251535
Jesus did not survive a betrayal, a cruel and unjust society that was both political and religious.

Today I feel the benefit of a restful day yesterday.  Dad will be helping Mark. cousin Eileen's son get his car window fixed as it was broken into while his mom was in hospital and a garden tool stolen.  I think dad and I will go to the hospital again' maybe stop in and see Carol and Panteli at Sandra's home.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

Is Carol off today so they are both home. I am sad to be leaving but it is always nice to look forward to your own bed and pillow. Sandra

Anonymous said...

How can you survive without your own pillow?
When do you get home to it?
love mom

Anonymous said...

nothing to report , Matthew has a birthday party at Burger King. I am off to work.
ken