Tuesday, September 9, 2014

CULTS

P9040009
I am challenging dad's remark he made to me when I returned from church on Sunday that the Vineyard Church was a cult.

A cult is a system of  religious worship (dictionary).  Great admiration for a person, thing idea etc.  It has been called a cult as have other denominations.  One of its great strengths was that it was a teaching church and encourage people to get to know each other by being a part off a small group.

Going to church can be a habit or it can actually be life-changing experience as it was and is for me.  It is a community that is drawn together to strengthen and encourage and teach each other.  Our worship is centered around Jesus and his teachings of wisdom and his knowledge of a heavenly being who we call God.
 
In recent years there has been a shift away from old-fashioned religion that was legalistic and has caused rebellion and the turning from the faith of our parents to engage spirituality. 
Evidently some one on the radio referred to the Vineyard as a cult.  There has been a well documented research done by Donald Miller that centers on the new use of emotional and bodily experience by mainstream, white and middle-class congregations.

Other books are “Main street Mystics” by Margaret Poloma or “Words Upon the Word” by James Bielo.

DSCN5252
Here is me returning from church wearing my mom’s dress which I also wear to funerals.  She influenced my life by her reverence and her faithfulness in  church attendance.  She made good friends and joined U.C.W. too.  She would definitely not been comfortable in a Vineyard Church like many others.

The Vineyard did emerge out of the Jesus Movement, which has also been written about by historical writers like the one by Steven Tipton.

It is good to have an opinion I believe that is grounded on both experience and knowledge.    Find out the facts. This church gave me a new vision and a closer walk with Jesus and especially a new awareness of my own potential!

I believe that the power of the Holy Spirit moves among us today like the power of the wind.  It can be gentle or it can blow you over.

Anyway dad and I had a scare today when Haiti escaped from our yard and we could not find her.  We drove all around and when we got home there she was waiting although she had scared the mail man from  delivering our mail.  Yes, I was praying hard and was very thankful she was safe.

Just a few more words.  Many ministers from the Vineyard have written books.  Ken Blue for one who both dad and I like for his practical style and the church was calmer then.  Bill Jackson's "The Quest For The Radical Middle is a detailed account of the birthing progress of this group. 

This church attracted the emotionally damaged seekers who were desperate to experience salvation as a healing process and the way to freedom. 

It is much easier to preach to a well-dressed, well behaved, disciplined group of church goers sitting quietly in their pews.  I am thankful for the healing experiences I had when we left our mainline church for awhile.  There were the young and creative, the fabulous musicians, and intellectual leaders.  It was exciting and alive something like the crowd I think Jesus attracted.

I am writing this in response to dad's negative words about the Vineyard when I arrived home from church on Sunday.  I refuse to listen or to let it bother me anymore.  I have strong opinions and will stick to them because of the good I have seen.  This church cared for people who would never darken the door of any other.  We delivered food to the hungry, we clothed the poor and really welcomed all!

So  today dad and I are off to the eye doctor.

5 comments:

Sandra said...

It is pretty simple really. The Vineyard did not place a single living persons words above the bible, so no it was not a cult. That church Ken and I went to in Kamloops, that was more like a cult. Are you still driving into Vancouver for the eye doctor? Nice day for a drive. Sandra

beth bennett said...

Good comment. Yes, I know there were different types of churches just like the United Church.

Yes we are going to Van. Dad is not happy with his doctor so maybe a time for change.

What an awful scare when Haiti disappeared especially when you know she does not re-act well to strangers.

Kim sure loves her dog and is very good disciplined it and She loves her,

love mom

Steady-as-rain said...

The Vineyard didn't have a single predominant personality (at least as far as I could see). They were probably midway in the transition from cult to hierarchical bureaucracy, which is what most religions do.

Love,

Rick

nancy-Lou said...

I agree with Rick, most churches are comprised of hierarchical bureaucracy....and it really turns me off! That is why I am seeking....still have my faith...but not religion.

Do you have any recommendations on a good book or two, Rick?

Beth, I noticed how your look so radiant in that dress...and now to find out that it was your Mother''s dress, makes it even ore special! That is a very nice picture of you.

It is a good thing that you and Larry have different opinions...if we were all the same, life would be pretty boring!

Yes, losing one of my dogs would be a nightmare for me, too. I ordered a little tag that has GPS on it a while ago for Dinty. He was blind and I thought if we ever lost him, we would be able to find him quickly. Unfortunately Dinty passed away in January and the tag is just now coming in the mail. I will find a good use for it.

Have a good drive in to Vancouver.

Love Nancy

beth bennett said...

John Wimber was the man who started our very small but the movement grew out of his leadership. I greatly admired him as he trained many others to take on leadership.

Our drive to Van. was interesting. . . .