Tuesday, June 26, 2018

COMPASSION

                                       This is a fragile emotion which I struggle with at times.
When family really works it is when we are able to love unconditional
People people who have seen and heard us at our worst still have compassionate hearts for each other.

Compassion is a gift that needs to be opened as we see that  those who have hurt us also have been damaged by hurtful experiences.

I am reading about a lady named Jennifer in the book "8 Habits of Love" who was brutally attached on her daily walk in the park.  She struggled to forgive and forget and to come alive again.  She tried all the usual tools of counseling etc. but nothing healed her pain nor gave her the courage and confidence she needed.

She decided to volunteer and teach youth at a half-way house.  She heard their stories and heard their pain and because compassion came alive in her she began to heal.

Dad and I drove way over to Guildford in the morning to go to the 'Apple Store" to get a new battery for his phone.  We could not believe all the changes and the amount of new stores and the huge parking lot.  The computer gave us the wrong directions so we ended up on the wrong floor going the wrong direction.  We now have an appointment to return next week.  That is after we found a human to give us directions.

We came home and I had a rest and dad did more work outside and then we sat in the back yard reading. Suddenly a dark shadow shut out the sun and it felt too cold.

Compassion seems to be something that needs to be learnt as we try to see the goodness deep in the shadows of every human being.  We all live in our own story.

1 comment:

nancy-Lou said...

I think it is crazy that we have to make an appointment with Apple to do business...I guess they are that busy? Right? I do like their products and have an iPhone as well as an old iPad...which works quite well still.

Today was more doing the executor stuff for Carl's estate. thankfully it was just a small straight forward estate because it sure takes time to do things.

It has been 30 degrees here for about two weeks..some days like today were not as humid, but still hot hot hot. The garden plants thrive on the heat and it keeps me hopping watering them two times a day.

Max, my little dog who has diabetes now is losing weight still. You can feel his ribs and backbone. We have him regulated now on his insulin and I give him his shots every 12 hours. They are easy to do and he actually gets excited when he sees me preparing the syringe...because he knows he and his sister get a treat afterwards. He is getting more frail though...hard for us.

Mr. bear put an appearance at my son Marks place last night. he was out on his deck and said "hello Yogi" and the bear took one look at him and gambled off into the bush. I sure hope he stays away from the cottage area as there are going to be thousands of cottagers here this long weekend. he is harmless. Just wants to get away from people.

How are you feeling Beth? Are you able to walk further now that you are taking big steps? I was so glad to see you had a lovely walk in the park. It has been sometime since you walked there.

I see the rheumatologist on Tuesday...then I will find out why my sedimentation rate is so high and I have a lot of inflammation.
I will ask him if he things I should teach art this summer...i am scheduled for classes every Thursday and don't think I am strong enough.
I just can't walk in and teach...there is a lot of prep.
I may just have small classes here at my home...in the sunroom. Students come to me, they bring their art supplies and I don't have a large set up of tables and chairs and art supplies for 15 to do.

I am very lucky my son, Bob is living here and he helps me a lot...has been doing a lot of the driving and taking me in the wheel chair when I am too weak to walk. He took 6 weeks off work when his Dad was first hospitalized to help us.

Volunteering is a wonderful things to do...the volunteer benefits as much as the people they are helping. That was a lovely story from your book, Beth.

It was a lovely day once again, wasn't it?

Have a great evening,

Love to you both,
Nancy