Sunday, July 5, 2009

WHY FAITH MATTERS

MATHEW GREETS US WHEN WE TURN ON THE COMPUTER
MARY GOT A LOT OF SUN YESTERDAY. WATCHING HOCKEY WITH GRAMPA

THIS IS A DOGWOOD TREE OUR FLOWER FOR B.C.


This is our book we are studying in our group with Pat and John and Doug Greaves etc. I agree with the writer, now that is surprising, that faith does matter and that scrpture and prayer are a great comfort but also a greater source for strength than anything else. I believe that God matters because people matter.

Life would be empty and desolate and meaningless. If you just live to die why live.

"Approached with cynicism or skepticism, sections of the Bible seem cruel [and are cruel] or incomprehensible. Approached as a sincere attempt to PUZZLE out God's will in this world, filled with misteps and startling truths, the Bible can prove--as it does in his life and the lives of countless millions--to be a book that shines a light on our souls."

I believe that life is sacred and that tradition and ritual has a power to transform and liberate us. Reading the Psalms we read our own struggles being expressed with depth and emotion.

"For a book to remain powerful throughout generations it cannot have a SINGLE meaning." I believe that there is hope for this world if people continue to read and to search for the truth.

Book clubs are very popular now and many good books are being read.
I am reading about "Sacred Dying" along with other books and I am learning about the Hospice movement. I was not there at the death of my parents nor Larry's parents although I spent many hours visiting them.

On my walk with Janet on Friday I was able to listen and to help her with sharing what I was experiencing. Yesterday I listened to Cathy and that was about all I could do.

Having the young people visit like Kim coming yesterday and having Mary and Michael John living here [sleeping here and going off to work etc.] is a great blessing.

Kim loves climbing trees and had great fun getting the cherries. I cannot capture how loaded out tree was with cherries.

I see the Bible as a book full of stories filled with spiritual truth but not easy to discern or understand. I love the Jewish mind that reads Deut. 21 that declares rebellious children should be stoned by their parents so they conclude :A rebellious son never was and never will be."
We certainly did not have any rebellious children!

I have not read Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion" but what I have read about what he writes twists the scripture. The story about Abraham offering up his son to be sacrificed is the story of every parent who sends their children to war. We all believe that freedom is worth dying for.

I may not understand why Jesus sacrificed his life but I believe he did and in doing so he gave us freedom to live and to love with greater awareness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats great that Dad walks with you now .

Ken