Monday, June 11, 2012

BALANCE

Ken we are disappointed you will not be able to come in Sept.  That would have been wonderful!

Sunday is a day I spend reading books about God and Jesus to balance out the busyness of everyday thoughts and plans.  I am reminded of the time that Jesus would withdraw into his own time of solitude and prayer.  

Even in prayer one has to find a balance or I can find I have to protect myself from being drawn into the overwhelming problems of others.  I even like to feel invisible at church sometimes just to feel the presence of holiness as I listen to the music or ponder the words of scripture or the message.  I like to carry words home with me that I can ponder and discover what they mean to me.

I know that it is good to be friendly and for some the social part of church is the most important.

I read that Hemingway could sit in a cafe surrounded by people and get lost in his writing.  I find it easier in the quiet of the morning in my own little space.  I am too easily distracted.

 I can also get lost in thought and contemplation.  I love the sounds of nature and in the silence I can even hear the bees buzzing.  I look at the sky and as I watch the clouds gently moving across the sky I am reminded of the book
                                            "The Cloud of Unknowing,"
The cloud of unknowing that separates us from God can never be penetrated by the work of the mind.
                                    Tine to rediscover the soul.  Time to listen.
                                             Sometimes I like to wrap myself in silence.
                                                     Believing in a love that is a part of me.

As I go for my early morning walk, enjoying the garden of others,and the fresh morning air.
I ignore the elderly East Indian man because because I think we are each in our own worlds and I meet him every Sunday and he always looks grouchy.

After my walk I get ready to go to church.  Dad decides to stay at home.  He has bouts of nausea and I think tiredness but he wants to keep on these new pills to see if they will really help the pain in his feet.  Sandra is now on them too for all her aches and pains and felling miserable.  I feel for them because I know the miseries of being nausea.

I enjoy the service of church and soak in the spiritual atmosphere that combines participation with silence.  The message is how important it is to be really present with the people around us.  Very relevant in these days of talking to someone and they are looking at texts on their phones. etc.

Dad did not have a good day.  He downloaded a book on his KoBo that he heard about on C.B.C. then burnt it out by charging it.  But we can afford another one.

He also had some nausea and did not go for a walk which I think is extremely important to keep moving.  My suggestion is to go at regular times and then it becomes a habit.  The pain in his feet is a bit better that is the good news.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Randy and I had another buzy day. He trimmed the front hedge while I cut the back grass then we went to Home Depot and started on the wall around the new front garden. As Dr Nolte said I am not to lift anything heavy, I believe his words were "yours is the life of a grande dame, sitting on the front porch with your tea, directing the young men in their labours" I was not all that much help. Lifted a few bricks with one hand and generaly just got in the way. Sandra

Anonymous said...

Sorry l missed most of church but it
was good to celebrate our Grandson's graduation .lt was very impressive to see so many fine young people starting their lived as adults.Jane.

Anonymous said...

Dad should try walking laps in a swimming pool,great resistance training and not hard on the joints.cold and frosty but sunny here.
ken