Sunday, June 3, 2012

BOUNDARIES

The title of this chapter is "love your enemies."  I think we can try to have more compassion for them.

"Hatred paralyzes life, love releases it."  Martin Luther King Junior.

"Love your neighbor as yourself"  Jesus.

I know that in my early childhood it was made clear that the Germans were our enemies.  I really had no idea what they looked like but I knew we were at war with them.  Everyone suffered and everyone wanted peace.  Today we are shocked by the actions of terrorists and evil people.  Maybe it is because they hear voices filled with hate and  with fear. 

"We need to listen to the undercurrent of pain in our enemies story." Kate Armstrong

I think it tales a lot of hard work, patience, respect and understanding to build a relationship even with friends or family.  I know that I am being manipulated if I think I have to act in a certain way to please some one.  I do not want to make an enemy out of a friend but it is a risk I have to take at times.   Healthy boundaries are important in most of our relationships.  Some relationships last a life time but others change.

It is important what we say and teach our children.  I think that it is time to replace the hardness of righteousness (this includes not only religious people but anyone who believes they are right about everything) with humility, honesty and compassion.

Now to change the topic.
I would be very frightened if I saw a bear.  They say that bears sometimes wandered up from down below the water-shed park.  I guess if they are hungry.  It is such a peaceful and beautiful place to walk and meet friendly people.

Yesterday morning I really did not feel like walking but decided to make the effort.  As I was walking I caught a glimpse of an envelope that looked dirty and should be in the garbage' but as I picked it up I discovered it was a Property Tax Notice that was unopened.  I decided I would deliver it and the lady was so happy and surprised when I gave it to her, she happened to be out in the garage and she went running into the house with it.  It probably got put out in the recycle bin or something. Anyway she was very happy to see it.

Dad did not feel like doing anything to-day but we did go to the movie "The Marigold Hotel" and we both enjoyed it very much.  It is so good to see movie stars with wrinkles.  I love Judy Dench because she seems so very real.  It takes place in India and the scene were fascinating.  I even liked the music!
The message was you are never to old too find happiness if you are willing to change.  Also you take your unhappiness with you where ever you go; But you may find unexpected happiness when you get there.  Follow your heart!

I think compassion along with wisdom and truth take a life time of learning and unlearning.

The sun came out here so I hope it did for Sandra's baby shower.
 She puts so much into the planning of every detail.

To-morrow is red, white and blue day in celebration of the Queen's Jubilee.  We are going out for lunch with Jane and Geof and a group from church.  Should be great fun


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, loving you enimies is much easier done then said, exspecialy when you have so much rights to hate them. Weather was OK. No rain, but it would have little gusts of cold wind randomly. We had the fire going so it was not too bad. Tired today though and looking forward to doing nothing.
sandra

Anonymous said...

First time I heard of someone being happy to receive a tax bill.
Ken