Sunday, October 21, 2012

ASSUMPTIONS

As a child I grew up with many assumptions.  These formed a pattern by which I learned to see life.

 I was taught that discipline and order as well as cleanliness were important. I believed that having a faith in God, the source of all goodness,(an assumption) was important because this gave life a deeper meaning. Going to church as a child I had a sense of wonder and reverence for what I was taught was sacred. I believed in the Bible and also in the power of prayer. I now acknowledge that I was taught what others had assumed about the spiritual. So much of life is interrupting our experiences.

Can we look beyond the assumptions that we have become comfortable with, and be open to the wonder and mystery of the unknown which has the potential to bring light into the darkness of doubt.

Dad and I arrived late at Ben's soccer game because we assumed that the traffic would be less on the route that we took.  To our dismay it was a mess, and we felt bad about arriving late.  Also I was slow in geting ready.The drive there had been along the changing colors and then up the side of the mountain where it got colder and colder.  Ben played the first half in goal and then scored in the last minute of the game. 

Morgan's game had been cancelled and she amused herself playing at the playground and hiding on me.

Religion has many assumptions which it builds upon but which we can question.

God, who is supernatural has supernatural qualities.

God is active in our lives and will guide us and intervene when we ask.

God is in control.

Theism assumes that God is the source of goodness, the agent of goodness, and the promise of goodness.  We are to be his agents in this time and place caring for others and sharing our resources.

  Praying, which I do in good faith, has been a life-changing experience for me.  My faith has been in the goodness of Jesus, believing He occupies a unique place in our history.

Today dad and I will be going to church and then out to lunch with Sandra and Randy at the White Spot.


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

White Spot is good. There is one in Kamloops but I seldom go.

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

I remember playing soccer in the snow !, at least we stopped for hot chocolate on the way home.
Ken