Sunday, October 28, 2012

WILD

LIFE A MIXTURE OF JOY AND SORROW.
I was wildly excited as I woke up thinking of going to Morgan's soccer game. Dad and I have not been to her games at all for a year. We have been to two or three of Ben's games, which have been later in the morning, and a bit easier to get to.  As I looked out the window it had stopped raining and it looked like not a bad morning.
I had packed a lunch and bundled up with warm clothes and we were only 10 minutes late in our planned time of departure. time. We made good time with dad's expert, almost 'wild" driving.  The country side just flew by.
I tried to ignore the clouds that were gradually descending all around us.

We arrived at the soccer field where there were multiply games being played.  A slight rain was falling but the worse part was the wet soggy grass which soon made our feet distressingly wet and cold. Dad and I sloshed  bravely  from field to field but there was no sign of our a red little pony tail girl running up and down the field. No answer when dad phoned Theresa. ( This time we should have phoned the house phone not the cell phone.)   We drove over to find them all getting ready to head out the door. We were an hour early and I had not even told dad the wrong time; which was a trick we had played on him in the past.

I have to admit I am the slow one now but was trying hard to be out the door quickly so we could be on our way.  I grabbed the lunch, the blanket and the umbrella and headed out to the car to find it locked and the keys no where to be found.  Oh yes they were in my purse.  Lucky to find my purse.  This is unusual for me as I do not put them in my purse believe it or not.
Ben has a turn sitting next to me excited about Halloween. ..............they had carved out cute pumpkins.  Decorations go up on Monday.

It is hard to take pictures and cheer at the same time. This is on enlarged and blurry.
Snack time! It started to pour rain and the freezing cold had seeped into us both. We were disappointed and hated to disappoint Ben but we would not be able to sit or stand and watch his game at 12:30. I was not only very cold I was feeling the tiredness of having lived past my prime.lol
It is only a short journey but even though I left with great joy and energy I found that it had wearied me.  It would have been great to have a longer visit with Theresa and Mikie and see Ben's game.

The ride home was wild as it was raining hard and the cars ahead were making huge clouds of water.

We had sad news that dad's friend Dave Brooks died on Oct. 21. His funeral is next week on the same day our friend Pearle is have her 90 + birthday.  We saw Dave several years ago when he and Mary celebrated their 60 wedding anniversary.  We planned to stay in touch but time just slipped by.

Wishing Shawna and Stephen a wonderful and happy and Wild time on their trip to Cuba for their honeymoon and Shawna's birthday.  Have fun!

Church undecided although I believe that music is one of the great reasons I believe in God and a transcendental realm.

5 comments:

nancy-Lou said...

I have to hand it to you...you are dedicated G/Grandparents to go to the soccer games on such a cold and wet day! Have you thought about taking Tai Chi classes? One man in our class was in a wheelchair 10 months ago ....he started classes doing the upper exercises, graduated to a walker and chair and now can do the hour and half class, standing ...moving though all the warm up exercises and sets. AMAZING! He is 78. Tai Chi is good for the body, mind and soul. I love it. Cute pic of Morgan with the "mouse"...I just hope she doesn't put it in your bed. Love Nancy

Sandra said...

Sorry to hear abour Mr. Brooks. Why such a lapse in the funeral? Where have they been living? Randy made it home safe and sound, glad to be backt to the land of green trees after being in Edmonton. Sandra

larry bennett said...

Well dear it wasnt quite as bad a drive as the 1955 drive from moose jaw to Saskatoon in the middle of the worst blizzard in modern times.
Our 1949 Studebaker did us well even when the wippers failed. I still remember the look on that young RCMP fellows face when we honked the horn at him to take down the barrier stopping traffic leaving the city - to let us in!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that Mr Brooks died. He was always very nice to me at work. Him and his bucket of tobacco .
Ken

Anonymous said...

That's too bad about Mr. Brooks. A really nice fellow.

Love,

Rick