Saturday, October 20, 2012

WALKS

It is now a lot darker than this on my first early morning walk. I leave about 6:30 or 6:45 and try to walk fast. Three days a week I come home and then go out again with Gundy at about 7:45.  A lot more leaves have now been blown off the trees.  So thankful I can walk.  So thankful I can walk to the store and with friends.

Martin LutherKing Jr. told a story about a 72 year old woman who walked a long distance every day during the bus boycott.  She was tired and physically weak, but she kept on because although her feet is tired,   her soul was at rest.  (Wow a 72 year old woman.  Then I remembered that I am older than that; I just keep forgetting.)

Dr. Jean-Louis Etienne, the man who walked alone to the north pole, explained that there are two times of great happiness-when you are haunted by a dream and when you realize it.  Between the two there's a strong urge to let it drop. . . . .I almost gave up a thousand times before reaching those moments of happiness when I forgot I was cold.  (I am thankful for my little steps each day and I suppose they could add up to a lot if they were added up.)  A bit extreme yes but I was looking for quotes with the word walking.

I also like to pray when I am walking.  It is better than sitting down because I can fall asleep.  It is good to have a friend to talk to and especially when it is through prayer.  I have learned that God cannot be used to fit into our simplistic views of what should be happening in any area of life.

It took an effort to drive into Ladner to have a visit with Chuck and Robbie; but so glad we did.  They both have an inner strength I have never seen before and Robbie looks beautiful, so relaxed and calm.  Dad and Chuck had a good visit and it is so good to see things with your own eyes.  They were very happy to see us as Robbie was having a good day.  They also do healing touch recognizing we are body and soul and both require healing.

Dad had been for a walk before we left and when we got home last night watched football and baseball and I think some hockey.  Not looking too good for the hockey games here and right now we are not missing them.

Ben has a soccer game in Abbotsfords at noon today I do not know what we are doing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good of you and Dad to visit Chuck and Robbie.

I think you left out "King" in the name.

Walking to the north pole is a bit extreme, so don't take that example too literally! :)

Love,

Rick

beth bennett said...

Thanks Rick I will correct that now and then should get going on my walk. love mom

nancy-Lou said...

What a pretty picture, with all the fall colours! I love fall...and even like our winters, but they are toooooooo long! Two or three months of cold and snow would be OK...but not 5 months. Not looking forward to the bad highways.....ice and snow. I like walking too and enjoy going alone to pray and meditate. Dinty, my little dog, comes along too. I will keep Robbie in my prayers and ask that you do that for Melodie, our daughter in law, who is very ill with cancer. It is a tough road to travel on. love, Nancy

beth bennett said...

Thank you Nancy, It is a tough road and family are such a blessing at times like this. I will add Melodie to my prayer list.

We have a black and white cat that sleeps on our chair cushion at the front door. It has a home but seems to run away a lot.

love beth