Friday, October 19, 2012

ETHICAL

I am ready for power failures. There was.  Yes I have made an appointment for a complete check-up, Sandra has been after me to do this, and it will be next month in Nov.  Robbie is in hospice care now in Ladner.

I know that politicians, athletes, business executives, lawyers, doctors etc. are under pressure to succeed. I would vote at a heart beat for a politician that said I know I failed in keeping my promises but I would like to try again. I think maybe Lance Armstrong could also come clean and admit what he and his team did.

I am reading a book about Derrick Bell. He was the first African American to become a highly respected constitutional lawyer to be tenured at Harvard. He left the school in protest at it's failure to appoint a woman of colour. Bell urges us to live a life of passion, to have the courage to take risks for what we believe in, to rely on our loved ones and our faith during hard times and to have the humility to know when our best intentions go awry.

"An ethical endeavor at which you can work with passion and integrity is a key component in a satisfying life."  Integrity includes consistency and unwavering adherence to values and beliefs.

Passion is not an event, but an energy that exists in all of us.  Derrick has found his passion to be for racial justice which grew out of years of work, first as a litigator, and then administrator, and later as a teacher and writer.

Material success constantly leads only to emptiness and the passion for integrity can give life a meaningful quality.  There are many wrongs that need to be recognized and changed for the better.

"The time is always right to do what is right."  Martin Luther King. Jr.

It was windy last night and raining hard.  Dad and I may drive into Ladner today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lance Armonstrong Mom (Neil was the one that went to the moon).

Glad you will be getting a full check up.

Maybe with more teeth you would eat more?

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

I'm ready for power failure too. I have lots of candles. You can never have too many, I figure.

Love,

Rick

nancy-Lou said...

Beth,do you know about jigsaw world that is on facebook? I don't know if you like jigsaws...but we have a lot in common and I enjoy doing the puzzles so much, that I thought I would tell you about it. They have many choices and sizes to do. I really like the large ones...BUT be forewarned, they are addicting. I was up until 12:30 last night! Love, Nancy