Wednesday, October 31, 2012

THE FUTURE


A quiet moment at the end of our walk in the park on Sunday.  The sky is brightening just a little but the weather forecast is for more rain.  Dad and I are very happy walking together.

 I am thankful for all the love I have been given;.
 I have experienced deep happiness, I loved and I am loved.
 Love colors our lives with beauty and gives us strength and courage for the future.
 I admit that yesterday I was feeling a curious melancholy (a good old fashion word)  but that has lifted.  I think at times you have to take a moment or two to recreate your life by changing something inside yourself and liking who you are.

"It is not that I have a long journey to God, but that I have a long journey to my own reality".
"God's loving kindness is there ahead of us".  --  The Archbishop of Canterbury

The Hurricane has lived up to all the worst fears and has cause great damage.  Millions are without power and must stay in their homes to be safe.  Hospitals in New York had to be abandoned and safe places found for the sick.  At least 33 people died.  In the days ahead we will hear many stories of courageous people.  The first days will be one of sorrow and grief for all that has been lost and life may never be the same for many.

O God
O God hear all our prayers for those who are suffering
Pray that they will be comforted by family and friends
May they be surrounded by love until they feel like they are being clothed in it.
May they be held in the mystery of your hands and blessed by your love.
May the wounded be healed.
May the mourners be comforted
May the morning of promise come when all will feel joy once again.

Dad and I drive over to see Mary Brooks at Chelsea Gardens.  Her face full of sadness as we sit and talk around the kitchen table.  Dad has story after story to tell about Dave.  Her daughter Diane arrives after we have been there for about an hour.  They have to attend to some dreaded paper work.

Can death be the beginning of a new journey?  It is possible I believe.

I am reminded that none of us know what our future will be but I am thankful for the assurance that Jesus walks with me, unseen and untouchable, but there is a sense that I can image  what He might say to help me.  Prayer helps me to see and know what I can do to help and free me to be creative, courageous and energized.

This evening will be very busy with all the little critters coming by.  It is fun when it is the neighborhood children.  Pray for protection on these little ones and also for all our children.


I laugh to myself remembering some of the costumes I made for the kids.  Some were a bit of a disaster but some were very creative.

5 comments:

Sandra said...

I think the winter with the darker days and the rain and wind just lends it self to introspection. And nightmares I think. Or was that because I watched Walking Dead with Randy just before going to bed? Not a good idea, even if it is Halloween. Sandra

beth bennett said...

Yes I agree. lolve mom

nancy-Lou said...

I see the west coast has fallen in to their fall and winter weather pattern. We always used to plan our annual visit to be before October, because we knew what was coming for months on end! Mind you, it sure beats our cold and snowy winters, that is why we have gone to Vancouver island for a couple of months each winter. Our daughter in law is quite sick with cancer, so we won't be coming this winter. We are needed here.
. Nice prayer Beth, to give comfort to those who are having difficult times. You know just the words to say! I am not going to be home tonight...will be at Tai Chi lessons, so we are just putting the candies in a clothes basket on the stoop and let them help themselves. When it is gone....it is gone! Carl can't get up easily to answer the door.
Love, Nancy

Anonymous said...

We got 10 trick or treaters last night. Australia still hasn't embraced Halloween Matthew and jasmine handed out candy. It was very dark with thunder and lightning around. But the rain held off.
Ken

Anonymous said...

You made some really great costumes Mom!

Love,

Rick