Monday, January 18, 2016

A NUN

As a young girl I would walk past a nunnery and have this  romantic idea of what it would be like to be a nun.  I would float down the street with a peaceful serene face and not have a care in the world. I would be a glorious singer in a choir of beautiful voices.  Definitely  a singing nun.Since then I have read several books and found out it is hard work and sacrifice.

Before I got married I had this romantic idea of marriage.  Everyday would be a day of happiness and fun.  I would run to the door to greet my husband home from work with an adoring look on my face.  I would also be working and hoped to make some friends.  No car, no money, not able to work I was home alone a lot as dad struggled to pass his checking-out as a controller.  Shift work and foggy days made it worse.  Then I discovered it too was hard work and sacrifice as I read and learned more about their roles and tasks.

Before I had children I pictured I would be the most patient of mothers who had lots of time just to play with her children.   By the time the fourth came along I found that I was totally exhausted and out of patience by the end of the day.  Often at least one of them would be sick with a cold or a ear ache or sad because their friends had been mean to them.  The sink was always full of dishes and the vacuum never got put away and the laundry had to be hung on the line and then folded and put away.  Dad wore white shirts to work then so there was always a pile of ironing to finish.  Once again life was hard work and sacrifice.

But looking back it is the fun times you remember. 

Precious moments of joyous laughter and surprises.

Maybe God is using me in different ways than that of being a nun.

Many lessons along the way to teach us again and again the true value and worth of our lives

7 comments:

Client Strengths said...

That's a good one MOm. I think I did/do that too.

beth bennett said...

I made a mistake in typing.

Thanks Carol.

love mom

nancy-Lou said...

I think you were' letting your light shine forth' as a caring Mother and wife, instead of joining the nuns, Beth. Yours was/is the most important job in the world and you must have done a super job because you have four wonderful adult children and numerous grandkids who all turned out very well.

Yes, before marriage, it is all a dream...but afterwards, reality hits home doesn't it?

I can relate to all that you said, including helping Carl study for all the exams he had on the Winnipeg Police Force....( they now call it Service ).
I didn't feel lonely because we lived in an RCMP type of barracks along with other policemen and their families. But it was busy because I had to look after the office and phones and radio when my husband was working evenings or nights.
We lived there for 13 years...we were not allowed to live out...nowadays that would be unheard of, as would the fact all wives looked after the office etc for no money...it was expected as part of the husband's job. We had two babies ...our sons and they grew up there. Lots of kids for them to play with and lots of coffee times when our husbands had a break. It wasn't easy, that is for sure...but good times were many. As I am sure they were for you too!

I was schooled by the nuns and one of my early piano teachers was a nun....i never wanted to be one...but loved the atmosphere and music of the Catholic Church, although I am protestant. The nuns could be very intimidating teachers...not all, but some, oh boy, I could tell you some stories!

I love hearing about the days when you were young..growing up, first married, about your children....not knowing you, except through reading your daily blog, it helps me know you better!

Carl isn't feeling well and I may take him in to emergency today....he will not go right now , and it isn't urgent.he is very stubborn and I know better than to argue with him. Our doctor is just a phone call away....he always returns our calls within the hour...we are so blessed! A wonderful caring man and a very busy doctor.

How is Larry...are his feet still very painful? The ointment doesn't work? I wish he would try accupuncture...he has nothing to lose and I am pretty sure it would help him. Sending prayers for you both...better health with no pain.

Love, Nancy

beth bennett said...

Thinking of you and Carl.

Great to hear about your early life too.

Larry's feet are ore painful with the ointment and he is discouraged.

I think he should try acupuncture too.

He went for a bike ride in the afternoon. It is cold for us.

I am reading a mystery so that keeps me interested.

Time to go warm up a rice dish Kim made for us.

She is going to visit her mom and Oliver after school today.

we are invited too but too late for us.

We have a funny Aussie D.V.D. to watch so will do that later.

Love beth

Anonymous said...

What DVD ?
Last day here at surfers paradise. Last walk on the beach. Time to pack and hurry to the airport for our 12:55 flight.
We have three kids , small house , both working , and dirty clothes that breeds!!!👀
We had a Week off. , but the breeding dirty clothes came as well !!!

Had a great day swimming and surfing at Currumbin. Goggle it. Tell carol to look at the rocks hotel Currumbin beach.
Did you ever find out what Oliver is doing at school?
Ken

Sandra said...

I wonder how many people have their visions of the future actually turn out they way they expect?

Looking back the most uncertain times hold the most vivid memories, some good, some not so good.

But yet, they all are fun to look back over.

Whether in amazement that I lived through what I did and I am still sane, or was so fortunate to get the opportunities that I did.

It does make me a little leery of spending too much time planning my future. Save for it yes, but spend enough now to have no regrets.

You just never know what is coming around the corner.

Sandra

Anonymous said...

That is so true you never know what is around the corner just as well !
Dad