Saturday, July 14, 2012

EMPTINESS

Sometimes the forest seems very empty when we walk along the paths.
 Dad knows most of the paths now.  We did not walk on Thursday or Friday.
Although I did my morning walk on my own.  Just after I got home Tavia phoned to say she was near by and would like to bring some apple crisp (which dad loves) over for dad.  She stayed for a long visit and we learned about her unique job working for an off-shoot of B.C.Hydro to make for a cleaner environment.  She has just discovered texting and loves it. 

"Who sits (or walks) in solitude escapes from three wars; hearing, seeing and speaking;
Yet against one thing shall they continually battle; that is his own heart."
---Abbot Antony of the desert fathers.

I admit that I can fill my mind with worries so I am thankful that in prayer I can find some release.
For others it can be gardening, or yoga, or running or even shopping.  Doing simple tasks around the house and helping each other by doing the dishes or going to the store or getting a cup of coffee are all things that can help fill our emptiness.

Letting go of our plans and our ambitions, our reputation our precious opinions just to rest and find peace in the moment.  It is like making room in a home or a garden for a special place that is sacred and special.

"Namaste"  is a greeting in Hindu that said with a slight bow and folded hands in front of the heart;  acknowledges the sacred within the other.  "I bow to the life spirit within you."  Even if we do not say the word we can greet others silently in our hearts with grace !
 
I have been to churches that are extremely emotional as well as extremely sterile.  I have learned from both.  I would say that to be mystical is to find the quiet center where ever you are. It is allowing yourself to be vulnerable with others; and compassionate towards the depth of their pain.

It is in the quiet of the morning or during the stillness of night when I allow yourself to day dream.  I invite the presence of Jesus and surrender my will but not my intelligence.  What I long to experience is a true reality and not a false blindness.  The mystery is in the stillness.  The answer comes with the desire.

It is like walking into a book store not knowing what treasure you will find but you enter with expectation and longing.

 Sometimes I take a picture and the camera captures so much more than I could see.

Now, back to the ordinary worries of life I was so pleased to have a few moments with Robbie and to give her the insurance papers that were taken out of the car that Kim is driving.  Just a short drive to Cloverdale but both dad and I were so happy to come home.

All in all most days are ordinary and I am thankful if I don't burn the toast or can decide what to have for supper and try to have a bit of a walk.  Enjoyed a beautiful sky last night and this Saturday morning!








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think that is what I like about walking alone, no need to talk or listen, other then the to the wind in the trees. I loved my Alberta walks because the quaking aspens have such a nice gentle music to them. I am sad the ones we tried to plant died. Sandra

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is true that sometimes the camera sees (or maybe shows) things that we didn't notice at the time we took the picture.

Love,

Rick