Sunday, July 15, 2012

THE LOG

                                       One place to find lots of logs is in our forest
.
 Dad and I are not going down into the woods today because of his pain in his piriformis.  Dad feels that if he does the exercises and rests from walking for a few days it will help.  It is called the piriformis syndrome.  Now he can go to the doctor and tell him what is wrong with him.

Dad has finished reading  "`Three Day Road".   Sometimes a person who hates killing has to kill someone who is a fanatic killer.

Since it is Sunday I am quoting Jesus who said: "Do not judge or you will be judged.  Why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the log in your own eye?  You hypocrite first take the plank out of your own eye and then you will see clearly to remove the speck in your brother's eye.

I am too often guilty of seeing the faults of others and thinking they are irresponsible, rude or dull or annoying, forgetting I am far from perfect.  I sure can have my bad days!  But then we all do.

I believe that Jesus is teaching us that often it is those who see themselves as good (a per functionary goodness) are the ones that need to search their own souls and their own faults before criticizing others.

Thomas Merton says: "It is only in assuming full responsibility for our world, for our lives and for others that we can be said to live really for God."

Reading the Bible is a difficult task and their are many versions to choose from.  It includes history, stories and myths that may have wisdom often hidden within the words.  I love the Bible and regard it as an important book to be studied.  I have not read it all and do not feel it necessary to do so.  It was written centuries ago to explain to people their world and their God.  Rules were needed to control and fear was used to manipulate.  I feel strongly that it is not to be taken literally but as a historical metaphorical.  The hero's are imperfect and very human so we can relate to the problems they get themselves into.

The people in these ancient stories believed in the supernatural as natural.

Anyway the Good Book says a day of rest is good and I know it will be good for us.  Dad and I are staying home from church where I know the presence of grace also abides.  We have had several phone calls from people who expected us to be at church, a little strange.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had Randy home all weekend so I finaly got that stump out. His mom started chemo yesterday so he will call today to see how she is. He is a bit emotional so he hopes he can make it through the conversation. Sandra

Anonymous said...

You are in my prayers.

love mom

Anonymous said...

The Jeusus Seminar has ranked the likelyhood of sayings attributed to Jesus being things he actually said. The speck/plant dialouge gets the secondest highest ranking (pink) meaning it is quite possible, in their view, that Jesus did say something like this.

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

Yes I used the word log instead of plank. That is interesting.
love mom