Sunday, July 29, 2012

STRETCHING

                        I now find that I need to stretch my thinking about God and the Bible.

Words now have to take on new meanings.  I use to believe that God was holy and almighty and all  knowing and would protect bad things from happening to good people.  Now I am being told this is the story of elementary Christianity and that grappling with new concepts will be a stretch.

The best theological schools expose students to the work of contemporary academics and researchers.  The problem is in trying to put forth these new ideas in a way that people can accept without these new ideas leaving people feeling comfused and  betrayed.

For years what has made people like me feel comfortable and safe is believing that God intervenes, and that the old stories were true.  I still believe that in some mysterious way God is with us when we hurt.  He knows our prayers before we speak.

"For the purpose of this book "Amen" god with a little g can mean a concept, as in the idea of god or a supernatural being in the general sense of the word.  Not to be domesticated into a relationship with us." 

Without prayer there is no relationship.  I feel that I am freed from heavy doctrine and ecclesial structure but still want to dance with the wonder of creation and be open to mystery of prayer.

I realize that God has been made into many images.  I will still talk to God like he is listening.  I think that there are hidden resources within me that in some way are able to tune into God.  Image if no one ever told you that they loved you or that you are worthy of being loved ; or acted in a loving manner towards you. it would be hard to understand the word love.  In fact you would think there was no such thing as love; .I can sense that there is compassionate love  in the air and it feels good.  I like my protective bubble that has nurtured me and been a shelter of grace for me.

When I hear the words of Jesus and learn of the healing things he did and he tells me that God is working through him then I can picture something that is real.  Justice and social action make up a big part of my faith.  I am trying to be more open to changing church theology and yes it is a stretch.
I do do my own reading and like to use my imagination but encourage others to work out their own spiritual path.  It energizes me and helps me to be more alive, I think.

I put some pictures on last night.  Now it is Sunday morning and time for a walk and a prayer! 

















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that nobody likes theological quarreling ... but a lot of it seems to happen regardless.

I'm not sure I understood the bit about the 75 year old chap ...

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

Well said mom.
Ken