Friday, July 20, 2012

STRANGE


Summer time seems to be the perfect excuse to sit around and do nothing.

 . Morgan is busy doing her hand stands one after another.  Every time she falls she just gets up and does another one.

"A truly good man does nothing,
Yet leaves nothing undone.

A foolish man is always doing,
yet much remains to be done."   - Hindu  wisdom

One of the hardest things for me to do as a woman is to have people, mainly my grandchildren, come and make meals for me and dad, while I sit around and relax.   On the one hand I love it and appreciate it;  yet there is something within me that tells me I should be busy doing things too.

I know I need to rest up today after all the fun activity over the last two days yet the art of doing nothing seems to be a lost art.  There is a compulsion in our country to keep busy.  Not only to keep busy but to produce something.  Lying on a blanket drinking Cool-Aid and reading comics seem the perfect thing to do as a child.

In the winter months there can be a need to volunteer to be on a committee or make something for the bazaar.  To be honest I do not feel that need anymore, but there have been times when I did. I am freeing myself from the approval of others.  I do not need this distraction of keeping busy, to avoid self-doubt or to avoid loneliness.

I sit down to write only after I have finished changing the beds and sweeping the floor and putting things away   while my brain is having thoughts about the importance of stillness.  I think that when I go visiting I remind myself that I bring the gift of a loving caring presence.

But I was also thinking I am glad I am not the only strange person in the world.


               Kim has a blueberry in her eye and Ben and Morgan are putting them in their noses.

Kim did a wonderful job making supper and I enjoyed our walks together.
And strange as it may seem I enjoy writing my blog day after day.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not many is a compairative term mom, in comparison to say MSN news not many read your blog. And the need to keep busy is something you and Randy have in common. Not me so much. Like I told Morgan it is because I am so good at sitting still and being quiet in the garden that the fairys come and visit me. Sandra

Anonymous said...

What happened to the Thursday blog?

Love,

Rick

PS I must be attracting a lot of fairies to my sofa.

Shandel said...

I can very much relate to your entry today. I always feel the need to stay busy. I even get so busy that i long to have the day off to just sit at home and when one day comes out of the month that i can, i just can not seem to do it! I find things that need to be done. But i think its important to take a few days here and there and just let it go and relax, other wise we could be come burnt out.
i am working on that lol!!!