Tuesday, November 12, 2013

APOCALYPTIC WARRIORS

DSCN1467
The morning looked promising which is very unusual for Remembrance  Day which is usual very wet and miserable.  I went for a good walk and then came home to watch the service on T.V. from Ottawa.  There was a slight snowfall.  So many stories could and should be told by those old warriors as they marched by the Cenotaph.  I think they are real hero's.
 
After raking more leaves in the front this time I took out my lessons on Revelations.  A vision by an old man who had a message for the churches.  There is the violent imagery which has in years since created Apocalyptic Warriors in a terrifying battle between good and evil.
His message seems to address the “harlotry of injustice” and the divine Judgment that was waiting ahead for all who do not do what is right.  The messages to the seven churches was written  in code to which we may have lost the key.
There was no standard theology, no single pattern of governance, no uniform liturgy and no common accepted scripture at this time but  they were passionate about being followers of  Jesus.  That is a good thing to be passionate about!

The ancient and often disturbing symbolism of Revelation  was not what I had been taught to believe as a  vision of the end of the world but an end to the domination of Rome

DSCN1475
We study the past through the eyes of the writer and the eyes of the readers.  Our biggest problem is to oversimplify and romanticize the past and so our beliefs can be built around what is false and inaccurate.  Like this old tree I can feel some of my root beliefs are under attack.  Apocalyptic warriors have gained much by using the terrifying images of good and evil to create a different gospel than the ones that I have studied before.
 
I did some of my reading for our study on Wed. and \I have  a lot to try and sort out.  Jesus is the one who rode into Jerusalem on a donkey
not to be a Warrior King but to be the Prince of Peace.  That is the One that has been the light for my path.  (I am getting tired so I will stop for now.)  I realize I have much to learn but also much to unlearn.
 
Dad and I drove into to visit Carol and then we drove to the Peace Garden.  It was dusk and our walk through the garden really was peaceful! !  I will put pictures on later.
 
After a visit and supper and a visit with Pentali on skype headed back home.  It had been a good day for me.  Dad has started writing a story based on his uncles experiences during the war.  Part fiction built on facts.
 
Apocalyptic Warriors is from  the book the "The Underground Church"  by R. Meyers

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Sorry I did not make it down to your house. By the time I had been to 3 stores looking for a lamp, and knowing I still had to do the grocery shopping and cut the grass and rake leaves when I got home AND make supper I was too tired. It was a lovely day, though I wish more people would use rakes and less use leaf blowers. Sandra

beth bennett said...

So you are back to first place. What a busy day for you. I still use my rack, which is good because I am often raking early in the morning.
I knew you had a lot to do so did not really expect you.
Next weekend Morgan and Ben sleep over at Carol's and Ben plays at Langley. He is passionate about being a good goalie!
love mom

beth bennett said...

So you are back to first place. What a busy day for you. I still use my rack, which is good because I am often raking early in the morning.
I knew you had a lot to do so did not really expect you.
Next weekend Morgan and Ben sleep over at Carol's and Ben plays at Langley. He is passionate about being a good goalie!
love mom

Anonymous said...

Matthew has orientation day at school today. Tullamarine primary , he is very excited. I was planning golf today but it is horrible wet weather here. Can always use the rain here , but would rather it on my working days.
Ken

beth bennett said...

So exciting for Mathew.

We had a warm day here at least for this time of the year. Dad and I walked around Morgan Shopping Center. What a huge place it has become with lots of different but very expensive stores.

I always feel bad for people who work and then the weekend is awful weather.

Dad and I are so thankful for each day.

love mom