Thursday, November 7, 2013

‘WITH HEARTS AFLAME”

DSCN4788
I count my blessings and discover  the One who can be counted on.  Counted on to be with me and carry me through by telling me over and over "I believe in you."

I am thankful for all the times I have been weak but He has been strong.  I am thankful that He never lets our light go out.

"Rabbi Israel Salanter built the Mussar movement to provide people with practices that would foster inner growth.  Late one night he walked past the home of a shoe maker who was still working by the light of a dying candle.  He said to him why are you still working?  The shoemaker replied “as long as the candle is still burning, it is still possible to accomplish and to mend.”

 (I may not feel the warmth of the flame within but I will continue to believe it will never go out)

This thought captured the heart of Salanter’s  imagination that he repeated it to himself over and over.
He would  then encourage his students to recite phrases that in some way related to their particular character trait they were trying to change
.
Repeat the phrase aloud and with great meaning and intense emotional excitement; “with lips aflame,”
Intellectually we know the things we would like to change about ourselves but it takes more than the intellect it also requires faith and caring family and friends,.  Every day we wake up not knowing what our day will bring but we give it to the One who knows our future and will be faithful day after day to wipe away our  the past and redeem the future as only He can do.

My way of saying it is to believe with a gut feeling.

One thing I want more of is joy.
“Oh, the joy of those who trust in the Lord”  -Psalm 40:4
DSCN4761DSCN4766
Sometimes I can look out the window with raindrops on it but also see the sun chasing away the clouds.  Can you see the raindrops?
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow.  Some one put their heart into these words and centuries later they speak to me as they have done to many overs over the years.

The wind is blowing down the leaves and make the ground rich with color and beauty.  Prayer is the wind that comes and can carry away my worries, even for a moment is good.   Belief is radical and I want to have that deep abiding faith that will carry me through each day and night.

Learning to trust that there is goodness in the world around me and so I can trust in the wisdom of this moment.  "Isn't joy worth the effort of trust?"  -Ann Voskamp

Jesus said: "People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God."  A voice from scripture or a voice from the present moment has the power to bring life!  \I just need to keep listening!

I was going to be short today but. . . . .

6 comments:

Sandra said...

but..you had more to say than you thought you did. About to head out into the downpour out there, will have to have a towel ready for the dogs. I am going to see that fellow on Friday, the one with cancer. Sandra

beth bennett said...

We are such brave souls going out into the rain.
I can ride along with you if you want on Friday.
Kim is suppose to come over today and sleep over at her mom's house and then go to Victoria to see Oliver.
Would be nice to go with her but I do not think dad is able to do it.
Love mom

larry bennett said...

Good on you Sandra - it may be hard to do, but you can be sure he will appreciate the visit.
love
dad

Anonymous said...

Thanks Beth for your words of wisdom and encouragement. Love, Jane

Anonymous said...

Yes brave indeed walking in the cold and wet.
Ken

nancy-Lou said...

I am glad that you decided to write more Beth. The scripture quotes are especially meaningful. Let the light shine on!
You have downpours and we are expecting snow today and tomorrow...so much for the green grass. I am pretty sure the snow "will stick". It is time. The lake is looking very grey and cold and beginning to slush up. I love to walk along the shore and watch the ice heave and sway as it freezes. In the spring, it sings to me, tinkles, as I walk by. Love, Nancy