Sunday, November 24, 2013

‘CLIMBING JACOB’S LADDER

PB190019Reading, reading, reading trying to get my study book finished.  Now it has been decided we will have a pot-luck after are study on Sunday
Dec.15. ( I have to stop and think of food how boring is that! )  But at least I have a few more days grace to catch  up reading!

Talked to Vera and was thankful she did not need our help.  She needed someone  for the evening which is not good for us.  Also  Larry cannot go right now anyway so it would   have just been  me and I do not think I could do it myself.

I would like it if dad and I could do some volunteering together but we both need to be healthy.

One man’s journey to rediscover a Jewish Spiritual Tradition.
            -Climbing Jacob's Ladder.
Telling us that at our core we are holy,  and it shows us ways to change those qualities within us that obstruct the light of our holiness from shining through.  It assures us that we are not condemned to live forever with every aspect of our personality we happen to have right now, but that (with effort and with time) but that we, you and me, can make the changes that will set free the radiance of our inner light.

This takes discipline to desire the ideal qualities that will make our lives more meaningful, happier and spiritual!  It  is not about just following commandments because one can keep the letter of the law forgetting the most important law is the law of love! and kindness!
honesty and generosity,!  Trying to do my best not to hurt others.

This is not to be practiced in isolation ( although some quiet meditation is good) but with others in community.  Value is placed on the inner resources that will help us in our busyness, with the kind of strength and insight that will free us from negative temptations.

We learn spiritual lessons in our everyday life!  "Kindness!

Sharpening awareness and climbing one step, one rung at a time learning the wisdom and lessons of past hers.  Learning with the help of a teacher or through study.

The first step as seeing ourselves as souls. Each of us is a soul.  A soul that can transform the ego.
as all personality flow from that essence.  At its core the soul is pure, but habits, tendencies and imbalance often obscure that inner light.

He is welcomed by his teacher with a kiss, warm lips on his check from his teacher with a thick, wiry, graying beard.  Even the most mundane detail of our lives is teaching us what is right and wrong, what is yours and mine.  Moving higher into the potential of our destiny!

  The service, the author,  attends is in a room where disorder is everywhere (a boy's school) and prayers are said everyone speaking aloud at their own pace,
After there is a very informal talk about simple truth like "Do not place a stumbling block before a bind man: or in other words do not give bad advice.

Mussar's goal is to help prepare you to make choices,
through maturity,
through judgment
 and learning from experiences.

Dad and I did a bit of shopping I need some small presents.  Then he came home for a nap.
Hockey on again tonight so that is good.

Chufrch this morning and then we turn into wild and crazy Sask. football fans!  !

7 comments:

beth bennett said...

Crazy me I look for comments at 6:30 in the morning

nancy-Lou said...

Climbing Jacob's Ladder! Guess what I thought? I thought there was a new variety of the plant Jacob'a Ladder!
LOL. The quotes from your books are really interesting Beth.
Carl is a die hard Rider's fan too....our son Bob is coming over to watch the game with him. Go Riders Go.....( I am not a football fan ) love other sports, soccer, hockey curling. I will knit or play scrabble on line. The Roar to the Rings starts Dec 1....we can hardly wait! Are you curling fans too? Most prairie people are. Have a lovely Sunday, Love, Nancy

Sandra said...

I dragged my self for a walk this morning, I could not stand Lucy pacing the floor for another whole day. And it actually gets me out of my jammies which is probably a good thing. Sandra

larry bennett said...

Although I never really curled - (except with jam cans at King George public school) The strange thing was that from the age of about ten I used to listen on the radio as they used to broadcast the Car bonspiels, I would draw a rink with all the rings, and as the announcer followed the rocks I would move them along (red and black checkers) on the page. So I have always had a deep understanding of the game, but only played hockey in winter. One interesting time when I was 19 my boss at the royal bank in Elrose Sask asked me to fill in on his rink that evening. Since I had never really thrown a real rock he told me to go down the rink and throw a few to get the feeling for them. There were I believe eight lanes - so I through all the rocks lined up to the other end. As I finished the head iceman coolly advised me to go down and throw them all back - and pile then all properly. Which I did - being a little sore as I finished. Went home and had a little nap - woke up - could hardly move - played very poorly - last game for ten years.

Beth and I used to drive down to Regina from Saskatoon to see the games - always very exciting - we always beat the lions in those days!

beth bennett said...

Sandra we really appreciate you coming over. Thank you for watching soceer with us trying to see if we could see Kim, or Ben or Morgan or Theresa among the fans.

Sandra I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU TAKE ANOTHER DAY OFf
You have a very nasty cough.

Once in while moms can be right

Anonymous said...

Well done Raiders .. Ken

nancy-Lou said...

Larry, I enjoyed hearing about your curling experiences....that was really funny when you threw all the rocks to the other end and had to throw them back again! I had forgotten the jam pail curling...we did that too at Lord Wolseley School....gold cans with red strawberries I think? That was inventive to draw a rink and play with checkers to the radio...ah yes you are true prairie people, for sure. Our rink was a "real ice" rink and it seemed colder in there than outdoors...especially when it was -40. You had to be able to judge the keeness of the ice accordingly...the colder the slower the ice was....and you really had to give it a good throw. Fun, fun, fun! Car bonspiels...that too, I had forgotten...thanks for the trip down memory lane! Love to you both, Nancy