Sunday, June 15, 2014

SOPHISTICATION

DSCN2857
It is raining very lightly when I head out for a short walk.  I look very sophisticated with my fancy cane.  I walk tall and straight and proud. 

Now there are moments when I tuck it under my arm to take a picture and just keep it there until I see some one looking at me strangely, I am sure they are wondering if I need to be put away.  And then there is the time I am so concentrating on each step that I drag my cane along behind me until I see more strange looks.  I should be used to them as every time I stoop to pick up miserable garbage I get the "look" too.  And if I had a walker I am sure I would end up carrying it!

I find there is much to be thankful for at my age.  For one think I am content to be the age I am.  I do not long for the days I wanted to be older, whether it was wanting to be a teen-ager or old enough to get the seniors discount, or even my old age pension.

I am happy for all the old days and the fun we had but also happy to be able to make so many choices about what I am going to do each day.  I can be useful or I can be lazy.  I can read books instead of doing housework or laundry.  I can cook a meal or we can eat out.

Sometimes I can just relax and do nothing.  I expect the next ten or twenty years will be full of fun, children, love and life.  I find that I am being treated with kindness and respect.  Sure I have aches and pains and less energy and my memory acts in unpredictable ways.  I will remember the oddest things and forget the name of my best friend. I get my directions mixed up but somehow seem to end up right where I want to be.  I think age is not all that is important but keeping active is.

I appreciate how much better I am feeling today!

"Cheerfulness and content are great beautifiers, and are famous preservers of youthful looks."
-Charles Dickins

I want to go to church and then look forward to having Sandra and Randy come over.

Happy Father's days to all

3 comments:

Shandel said...

Very happy to hear you are feeling better. and i tried to picture you walking and carrying your cane haha you only need it when you need it so that is ok. I have often thought about bringing a black garbage bag with me on my walks with Daisy. There is so much i could collect. i really need to do that next time. and then dispose of it where it should be. good for you! for helping the environment. I feel in this day and age there should be NO litter. but alas it happens.
Happy Father's Day enjoy your visit. we are heading to my dads this afternoon for a mini family bbq and before that we will take Daisy to the dog park with my mom&sue and their dogs. beautiful out once again. hoping for a good thunderstorm later this evening.
xo

Sandra said...

I changed some things on my Facebook so hopefully that makes a difference. Enjoy the rest of your day. Sandra

beth bennett said...

Thank you, we need all the help we can get.
Dad was very pleased with having his favorite things for lunch. Your flowers were beautiful.
Thanks .
love mom