Sunday, May 10, 2015

BLAST FROM THE PAST

P5100451
Thank you Melina and Ken and all your family.  The flowers are beautiful!
 
P5070478Happy Mother's day to all

children who have been such a blessing to their moms.  Each one of you was chosen to bring joy to the heart of your mom!  You each in your own way have taught me a lot and continue to do so each day!

Every time I go into Ladner or Tsawwassen I think I might see one of our old friends, so that was a coincidence when one of Carol's old teen-age girl friends recognized us.  Young people[are more likely to recognize us that we them as they have changed a lot.  We have not.

We have lots of memories in Ladner.  I joined the hospital axillary that support the hospital being built.  I worked in the Thrift store for several years.

Also Larry's grandmother lived in an apartment across from the Post Office.  She had been living in English Bay when we first arrived here.  Then she had a heart attack and came to live with us right from the hospital.  I had four small children at that time.  Ken was just a toddler and Rick would be about 5. 

Our home turned into a hospital as Rick came down with chicken pocks and the Carol with measles.  They got better only to catch the others disease.  Rick ended up with mono, with bad headaches etc.  So there was granny to look after, to dress and bath and feed and the small children.  I was exhausted and even phoned my mom for help but she felt she could not leave my dad.  Also it could not have been easy for grannie  to live in a home with noise and confusion.

In those days dad was very dedicated to his work and felt he could not take time off.  Yes, we survive these stressful times.  Eventually we found a nursing home for grannie where she completely recovered and was able to live in this apartment in Ladner.  This required many trips to help her with meals etc.

Later dad built the seniors home there for his grandmother.    All the children helped with moving in furniture, making beds and lots of other duties.  I eventually worked there with best friend Dorothy Wells helping her with her nursing duties. 

"Sometimes even to live and to love is an act of courage!"

No church today dad is not well enough but hope we can go to the lunch at Sandra
L.A.Seneca

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Let Carol know if you would like her to pick you guys up if you do not feel like driving.

Lots of sirens last night as an ambulance came into our neighbourhood.

Happy Mothers day.

beth bennett said...

Happy Mother's Day to all!

I did not have a good sleep with dad coughing and my legs hurting. He is sore from coughing and worn out too. Woke up early this morning with dad coughing.

I doubt if we can come. Talking can start us coughing and I feel bad because when you are together and especially eating some one coughing makes your stomach feel ill.

We would like Haiti back if possible.

I know it will be another fun party at your home Sandy and Randy. Enjoy your day!

Love mom

nancy-Lou said...

What a grand story, Beth....you have been such a wonderful Mother to everyone...your children, Larry's Grandmother....the patients at the hospital and nursing home..always using your Mothering skills on one and all!

I am wondering why the doctors didn't put Larry on inhalation therapy...( the mask with drugs that open up the bronchi ) ...I had to travel three times a day for two weeks to our hospital to receive it as an out patient. It really helped and the treatment takes only 20 minnutes or so.
OUr local hospital is so short of beds...otherwise I would have been admitted. There are 23 beds and 7 are occupied by folks who should be in a nursing home. We are in such a need of more nursing homes and none in sight yet!

Mark is taking me to the greenhouse in St. Georges to buy me a plant for Mother's Day...my absolute favourite thing to do.

I wish you a Mother's Day filled with love and joy!

Love, Nancy

beth bennett said...

A plant is always a wonderful gift for us mom's.

I am happy if my children are happy!

Larry goes back to the doctor on Monday so we can suggest that. I wish he was going to his family doctor although I am sure this doctor is doing her best.

She is East Indian and I wonder about her hospital experience.

Waiting for a phone call before I try a short walk.

Have a happy day

Love beth

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day mom.
I am off to work .i will call you when you both can talk. Rest up .
Ken