Saturday, May 16, 2015

STORIES

 P5150463
Nice to have some help in the garden!
Thanks Carol and Panteli!
Also nice to have Carol walk Haiti over to the park with me.
Dad very tired today.  An upset stomach too.
Haiti very sad after everyone leaves.
Me having trouble sleeping .  Old age!
DSCN5616

Until you actually see and hear and feel the ocean it is hard for a young prairie girl to even imagine what  power those huge waves have and far you can see across them.

From ancient times people made us stories about God usually a God seen in nature.  Wild and angry and powerful and beyond belief.
Jesus came to tell us the true stories that as I have allowed them to be woven into my life have given me courage and faith and hope in the knowledge that I am worthy and that I am loved.  I was fortunate to hear many stories about Jesus as a child and see movies at my church about his life and crucifixion.  He was real and I had that child like  faith that I could pray and He would hear.

DSCN5612
The stories that Jesus told were so real and so practical.  One should not build a faith on wild and crazy stories of fear and conquering others by words or by fighting, but on a steady foundation of the beauty and joy of holiness.

I remember stories of glass houses and one should not throw stones; or planting seeds that only some grew and some did not.

I have thought a lot about the little nun, whose name was Louise and even though she was a little senile her smile and her gentleness was a story her life still told.

I think of my own dad who told every one he was in the nursing home as a spy for his son who was a Mountie.  He had to make sure things were done properly and because of this he talked to other people who he accepted and they accepted him.

Truth is not always straightforward but is held in tension.

"A small snail was climbing up a cherry tree while all the sparrows laughed and teased him.  Hey stupid they said don't you know there are no cherries on that tree.  The little fellow did not stop but replied that there would be when he got there."

The main function of the story is to deepen awareness of the human condition and to remind us how very alike we are in our humanness.

"There are two kinds of stories: some tell how it was, and others reveal how it is."

"Over the entrance to Yal Vashem, Israel's memorial to those who perished in the Holocaust, is inscribed into the stone an aphorism to the Bael Skem Tov:
Exile comes from forgetting.
Memory is the source of our redemption."

We can never really forget but we can forgive.

6 comments:

nancy-Lou said...

How fortunate you are to have family who are so helpful. It is hard to get these things done as we get older isn't it? I am finding it a challenge, especially with Carl being disabled and not able to anything. Lately I have been thinking an apartment where most everything is done for you is looking pretty good. BUT I would hate to leave our home...truly would.

Isn't it wonderful to have a dog to take on your walks with you? Haiti sounds like a lovely girl, with a good nature.

The stories that Jesus related are ones that I do love too...some of the ones in the old testament I certainly do not like.

That is a comical story about your dad who thought he was a spy..glad that the others humoured him.

This is a beautiful morning. gentle and soft BUT we have a strong storm approaching and soon it will start raining, "cats and dogs". Then turn to snow tomorrow evening and MOnday. I haven't started my garden yet and that is a good thing! The hummingbirds must know because their arrival is delayed by about 7 days now.

I wish you a good day filled with lots of happiness and prayers for more strength and energy.

Love, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Are you coming over for breakfast?

beth bennett said...

Yes we are coming over for breakfast. Haiti and I have had our walk and I am waiting for DAD TO GET READY.

looking Forward to seeing Haiti.

Love beth

Anonymous said...

Nice and sunny , no wind 19c . Day off for me. Melina working from 1pm to 5pm. Matthew did well on his spelling test so did Jasmine , 14/15 for matt 5/5 for Jasmine. No real plans for us today.
Ken

beth bennett said...

A soccer week-end ahead for us. A sunny breeze day.
First day out and about for dad and hopeful he does not get too tired out.
Enjoy your day off.
Good results from Matt and Jasmine.
Children are wonderful even though they keep you busy because they are so active.

Love mom
love mom

Sandra said...

I like breakfast, why wasn't I invited?

Are you and dad accepting invitations again?

We had Mandi and James over for lunch today. It is James birthday tomorrow and his dad is in town.

I will stop by tomorrow or Monday.