Friday, October 6, 2017

AGING

Yes it takes courage 
and also a time to discover new ways to cope with life
and to find strength in weakness.
New things to be thankful for.

I am thankful for the new discoveries about the brain's plasticity, neural circuits are created when others are damage to promote survival.  Our brains when  strengthened and stimulated  are able to fulfill the purpose it was meant for, the primary job of connecting with other brains.

I find as I get older I have to repeat a task I am doing over several times before I feel okay about the results.  I some times have to re-read words to know what I have read.

It is a dull day today and I feel like my brain is a little dull too.  Worked a bit in the yard and dad had a bike ride.  He is now making that his goal to do daily.

I was thinking about phoning my brother Brain when the phone rang and it was him and Traudl.  They both have been having health problems.  The smoke from the fire affected his lungs and sinuses.  She had a bad dizzy spell which she thought was maybe a stroke.  Brain phoned for the ambulance.  When they arrived he looked so awful they were ready to take him not her.  They joked about this on the phone.  They tested her and the answer was she was dehydrated and yet she drinks more water than either of them.  They will not operate on her knees, afraid of a stroke with her high blood pressure. They gave her a cortizone shot which helps going up and down stairs but walking is still very painful.

''Neuroscience confirms that our brains seek purpose through our relationships and purpose is coded within our DNA."  -Dr. Jay Lombard.

We all face uncertain futures but our connections to one another gives life meaning in spite of aging!

4 comments:

Sandra said...

I had a fire going most of the day yesterday. Had the flooring guy come out and yes, they can put sheet vinyl in the kitten room. They had to check to see the condition of the sub floor first. The little imperfections will show through still, but it is the best options to give me a surface I can keep clean and sanitized.

See you tonight at Kimberly's.

Sandra

Carol said...


I hope you guys have a nice Thanks Giving. We're having lunch at work on Monday.

nancy-Lou said...

It is sad to hear of your Brother and Sister-in-law's challenges with their health. One has to wonder why it is so challenging to get old. I wonder how life would be in reverse....born old and die as a baby? Strange thought isn't it? I think there was a movie made about someone like this. My thoughts and prayers for them...I hope they are able to get enough help where they are living. Home care etc and good hospital care.

Great to hear that Larry is riding his bike again! It is so good to get outside and do something like go for a walk or a bike ride.

I read that you are having Thanksgiving supper at Kimberley's. Are people taking things to help out..like side dishes or desserts? What are you having? A turkey?
I will look for photos tomorrow..i am sure you will post some on your blog and tell us all about the supper.

I am having Thanksgiving supper tomorrow ( Sunday ). We will have our sons and our granddaughter and a fellow who lives alone. Tommy. Was I telling you about him the last time I wrote? I am glad he is coming. I always like to include people who are alone for the holidays. Once we had a fellow who was very drunk when he came for Christmas supper andn he gave my poor sister in law a big kiss....yuk! on the cheek, thank goodness!

I am on a tear getting rid of a lot of things. I have taken in two car loads to the thrift store and have another one to go this week. About five storage boxes each time. I am going to get down to only what we really need. it will be so much easier to cope with if the time comes and we have to move. I hope that time never comes and we can stay here. BUT with Carl's health one never knows. I sure don't want to leave a huge mess for our sons to have to deal with after we are gone. Furniture too is going...yes siree. it will be so much easier to clean the house!

Very tired tonight after another busy day...in the afternoon I made two dutch ovens full of cabbage rolls. My granddaughter loves them so I will serve some with the turkey supper tomorrow and give her some home too. I made the second pot of meatless ones for my vegetarian son. He can freeze them in baggies.

I will be off to bed now, to read my book for a while. it won't be long though because I am so tired...I wish you a lovely evening.

Love. Nancy ps lovely photo

beth bennett said...

Enjoyed your comments you all.

No turkey yesterday buttons of good vegtable dishes and sammon. can't spell .

Caroldo people bring food to our work or do you go out?

Happy Sunday.

Love mom