Monday, July 30, 2018

EFFORT

                           Yes everything seems like an effort to me now that the weather is hotter.

The best part of the day continues to be the early morning when it is cooler and fresher.

Even listening to the sermon in church takes an effort.  Over the years I have listened to a great many sermons but each minister puts a different emphasis on the message.  Also when I read a story from scripture I see different things that were hidden and now they come to light.

Yes being a little hard of hearing does not help.

Even though we have heard and read the story of David and Bathsheba, of his adultery and murder, we see that although culture has changed in many ways, power still corrupts .

Just what does it mean to listen?  We all listen out of our own need to be powerful.  There also have been experiences when we have allowed ourselves to be touched by the pain and hurt of another.

Life is flowing all around us all the time reminding us to make an effort to listen.

I was just told about a great effort my dad made years ago when we had hosted Christmas dinner in our very run down army barracks.  The fuse keep breaking and the oven would quite and was not cooking.  I was bus running back and forth and it was a disaster.

Dad saw my father with tears running down his face in the hallway because his daughter was living in a dump and having a hard time.  I never knew this.  Actually we were quite happy there.

What I saw was a great amazing effort that my dad put on to be cheerful and express his pride in my efforts.

Our neighbor ended up cooking the turkey for us and we put on our hats after busting the Christmas crackers and had a good time with my brother and his wife Traudl and my mom and dad.

Life does take an effort everyday in many different ways,

3 comments:

Sandra said...

It sure seemed extra hot in the house yesterday, like the heat has slowly built up. I broke down and put the air conditioner on in the kitten room, it was so hot in there. And then a first for me with kittens this young, I did not have the energy to catch them all and put them in their room for the night and let them sleep on the landing.

Sandra

Steady-as-rain said...

This story about Granddad Bowron was from when we lived on Sea Island?

beth bennett said...

Yes that was on Sea Island.

Where you liked tp pick up dad's tools when he worked on the car and run away with the.

You were being helpful.

Cooler today thank goodness.

Sandra put the air conditioner on for the cats?

Love mom