Tuesday, March 16, 2010

CHANGING TIMES



Here I am up early again so my sleeping in to 7 did not last but was good while it did. Maybe I just like the dark but whatever causes me to be wide awake here I am again. I look out at the garden full of dark shadows but curiously beautiful.

Some changes do not last and some are an ongoing process. I think back to when I was a young married woman, busy with home and family, but wanting to learn more about the Bible. I joined a Baptist ladies group who were much more fundamental than my United Church. I was young and full of faith and wanting to learn more about the Bible; but I suppose I was naive.

I have found out since that scripture can be used to support points of views that actually cause division as we try to apply cultural standards of two thousand years ago to today. Even when Christianity was first being created as a religion there were many different opinions.

Scripture has been used to justify acts of imperial conquests, torture and coercion; it has been used to persecute the Jews and condem people as witches, and even today we condem others who are different or choose a different life style.

It is laughable to say to women today you must wear a hat to church as an act of submission to your husband; who you are meant to serve and obey.

Religion can be an intellectual reality but for me I find that that creates an emotional distance between me amd God.

Jesus turned the water into wine well aware that this was easier than changing people. I do not like change but I am finding it is the gateway to grace!


The sacred invites us to go deeper into our own inner darkness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But, even though it is not easy for people to change, it is not impossible! Motivation of some sort always helps.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

What Baptist ladies group?

Love,

Rick