Saturday, March 27, 2010

LUKEWARM SUNSHINE


The sun did shine but very weakly so that it did not warm up the air very much. Dad is happy watching curling but all the shouting gets to me; but it is good he is happy. The sore thorat has now turned to a very runny nose but at least we know this is something that can get better with rest and time. I am feeling very tired and impatient and could not walk as far as I planned. Did have my pie and ice cream and can feel myself getting fat. lol

I had to take my library books back it seems some one else wants one of them. I had no inspirational thoughts or experiences just a gentle dull short of a day. Even with a nap I fell asleep as we switched back and forth from the hockey to Midsummer Murder. When dad turned off the T.V. I mumbled did the Cannucks win? The Canadian girls did not do well in the curling and it was sad to see how disappointed they were in themselves. Watched a T.V.pecial on a man dieing of cancer unable to get the medicine that may have helped. He wanted to live for his family, his two adorable little girls and his wife. He took them to Disney land while he had the strength to do it.

"Blue Like Jazz" starts out with the writers dad deserting him and his brother at an early age. He went to a wealthy church where all the other families seemed so much better than his. He fell in love with the daughter of a bank president who did not even know he existed. He would ride his bike around the grand homes in his neighborhood and imagine living in them; just like I use to do. I am more attracted to quaint than big and fancy. Years ago I was a part of a Bible study group that meant in Oakridge and we would go to different homes to eat our bagged lunch. They were older homes but they had lots of secret cupboards and cozy window seats perfect for dreaming away the hours. I wish it had been warm enough to sit out on our porch yesterday but the wind was cool and maybe I should have taken my blanket with me and put on my mitts and enjoyed being out in the fresh air.

The young fellow in my book has lots of questions but in the end decides an impersonal God served him just fine because he felt he had no need of God any way. When he gets older and has purchased a cheap gift for his mom for Christmas after having spent the money on gifts for himself he finds himself very unhappy the night before Christmas morning. Becoming aware of the happiness or unhappiness we can bring another is a spiritual awakening. But first he felt the heavy load of guilt and shame and he needed a real God, "a living, feeling God, to stop the pain."

No comments: