Wednesday, May 16, 2012

THE BRAVE

It was a morning like every other morning as I step out the door the three cats are waiting for me.
The orange one at the end of the driveway, the gray one under the car and the black one across the street.  Missing is the black and white one that is never still and roams the neighborhood and loves to come in your house any chance he can get.  Nevertheless I was off for my walk.

Got home and dad took off to try a walk in the forest and Panteli was putting air in the tire of his car and then doing his packing.  He is off to see his parents; so from one old couple to another.

Dad came home from his walk very tired and his hip had been giving him pain.  I came home from my shopping for clothes also very tired.  What a pair.

As we watch our D.V.D. about a little boy with cancer I am reminded of what the young girl, who works at Chapters, and is very crippled with arthritis, said to me about what her mom told her, that only the brave are chosen to suffer.  She always inspires me because she is so cheerful and helpful and her name also happens to be Beth.

Seeing some one else face difficulty makes us see our own in perspective and hopefully helps me to have empathy for others.  Whatever suffering brings into our lives we know that others battle even greater pain and grief.  This is not always easy especially when we do not want to deal with the homeless man sitting in front of the store, the person who feels bitter about the unfairness of life, sad stories that could break your heart.

Yes, we feel helpless but is by remembering the kind words of wisdom that another has told you, a smile that takes an effort, all let the feeling of being alone lift off our shoulders.  How we handle our problems big or small is an example for others.

Generosity, courage and a sense of humor make us strong even when we feel weak.  And yes we have our bad days when we feel, or I should say, I feel useless because I do not accomplish what I would like to do or what I use to be able to so.  It is hard to be in pain and it is hard to see others in pain.  Prayer helps me to feel that I am doing at least something by sending love to another.

Faith is something you do in your relationship to others and to God knowing that "the highest good, the realm of the sacred, must always remain a mystery to us"                                                                 -Rediscovering Reverence by Ralph Heintzman

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't see any cats when I went for a walk with you the other day.

Cheerfulness and luck don't necessarily go together. Many unlucky people seem to remain cheeful, but many others with so much more in terms of wealth and so on aren't nearly so happy. Funny that.

Love,

Rick

Anonymous said...

I personaly dont like platitudes. All who suffer are not brave or compasionate. Hmm, maybe they just arent suffering enough! Sandra

Anonymous said...

Got air in the tire OK, got to Craig's OK, he got me to the airport OK, and I got to my parents OK around midnight. working at a 24/7 Starbuck's right now, marking my online courses. Thanks Beth and Larry for your hospitality, much appreciated! and thanks to sandra and Randy as ell--their pets re fun to house-sit, and sorry that Lucy's lump has returned. I missed that completely as most of the petting I did was when they would put their noses in my lap!

Panteli