Monday, May 21, 2012

WALKING

This is an old picture but very like of to-day.  A very misty rainy day.  I woke up early but dozed off on the chesterfield as I was meditating.  I don't think that is what you are suppose to do.  Actually I was thinking of going on my walk and then I started thinking about the walks Jesus took with his disciples.  I have often found that walking with some one can be a time of very interesting talking.

I imagine that walking with Jesus would be very enjoyable but instead of providing answers he would ask questions.  The question in the minds of those who walked and talked with him would be to try and figure out if he was the Messiah they were waiting for.  They longed for a new age when the Messiah would set them free and the temple would be restored to former glory.  Even if he was only a revolutionary and a trouble maker he drew crowds to hear his words of hope.

It was interesting at church the minister talked about the way Jesus travelled everywhere by walking.
In the gospels when he referred to the world his listeners would only be aware of the world in which they knew.  Today we are given far too much information about our huge world.   

Why is Jesus remembered when he died a shameful and cruel death  as a criminal one who had denied their religious traditions and failed to become their King.  I have this feeling that anyone who walked with him felt loved unconditionally.  They were never the same.  They would feel that presence with them even when he was not alive.  He was and will always be unforgettable to anyone who has felt this presence.

Love becomes holy within each one of us. We see it in parents who sacrifice sleep and their own needs for the needs of their children. 

I did not walk before church in the morning but went later just before the rain began.  Dad stayed home. 

"I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it.-Soren Kierkegaard,  Letters and Documents  I know there is truth in this because I have so often felt so much better after my walk.

Cold and wet looking out this morning so it will be a winter  rain jacket morning.  Disappointing wong week-end for a lot of people.  I guess I should not have gone out and bought summery clothes!

4 comments:

nancy-Lou said...

Do you take the same path on your walks or have a variety of walks? I prefer to walk alone ( with Dinty, my new dog ) because I think of it as a "walk with God", time for prayerful thoughts, inspired by nature. I do like to walk with friends too, but not often. I am walking may different routes, showing Dinty his new territory. We had a coyote outside our fence early this morning, watching Dinty, but my husband scared him off. My neighbour is missing her cat, and we think that is what happened. Coyotes and wolves have always lived here, although wolves are usually not seen this time of year. Have a relaxing day, Love, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Rain or shine Randy and I have work to do outside. We cant lay the pavers but we can get all the sod moved. Fingers crossed it is not pouring later when he wakes up. Sandra

Anonymous said...

But , it's nice to know that the weather is on the improve. Unlike us that can looks forward to three more months of chilly mornings.
Ken

nancy-Lou said...

Ken, Just wondering what a chilly morning in Australia would be? Does it get below 0 degrees celcius? Nancy