Wednesday, May 30, 2012

THIS OLD HOUSE

Yes this is our poor old house now sitting deserted and falling apart inside and out.


Junk is piled on the once beautiful lawn and the special bricks removed along with the bushes that bloomed so full of colour all around.  This house had been built with love and with a special purpose for an extra long bedroom.  We had three beds in it a one time and they were double beds.

It was built too close to the edge of the cliff and threatened to actually fall off.  Others had put in extra concrete and we had the foundations built up, actually jacked up.  Dad and I felt a little guilty as we took a little look around, remembering all the family gatherings we had there. 

Kim and Oliver and Rick and Chris  had lived with us at different times.

Then there were the happy exciting times preparing for Ken to visit with his family from Australia or Sandra from Edmonton with lots of camping gear and lots of enthusiasm.   Leah came to help during the summer visits and I will always remember the cafe her and Theresa set up for us.  Then there were the walks down the path beside the house which Kim and Mary  loved to take.

Lots of craziness!

There were small conflicts that all families have to deal with and which are best forgotten. Some of our most difficult lessons in life are learned in our interaction with each other.  I had lots of hopes and dreams for each one.  Lots of emotions of joy and struggles.  I will always remember the sadness when family felt.  There was Oliver leaving for music school  with his car completely packed with his worldly goods that there was hardly any room for himself.

I really miss my family that live so far away from us now but think of them all with loving prayers.

 Today when people come to visit I don't try so hard with all the cooking and cleaning because it only stresses myself and others out.

I like people to come and just make themselves at home. 

Today I was over on my old street and sent for a walk with my friend who is recovering from heart surgery and we walked by many of the old homes all changing and old friends have moved or passed on.  It was good to walk and remember things together.  The day turned out sunny after a very rainy start and a desperate hunt for my rain pants.

Yes, last Saturday we had blue sky but summer is not here yet.

Life is a challenge at every step of the way for all of us I believe.

Remember   "You Got Me Babe!"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, good thing the memories remain even when a house crumbles and falls. There certainly were many milestones marked for a lot of us while you lived in that house. Sandra

Anonymous said...

Well either you ended off with a Sonny and Cher quote, or there's something in the Bible that I missed.
Love

Panteli

Anonymous said...

Yes PANTELI it was Sonny and Cher just to remind dad he has me.

Hope your visit is going well.

MISS cAROL AND kim too.

love beth

Anonymous said...

Did the onwers got broke? or are they going to rebuild?I loved that house dispite its faults.
Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken, we think they bought it to make money. we do not know what there plans were or are.

Yes very good memories.

The whole ridge is changing with very big houses.

love mom

nancy-Lou said...

A bitter-sweet blog today, Beth. I too, become greatly attached to my home and would feel badly seeing it in such a sad state. it is a good thing to have the memories though...no one can take those away from you...even when the house is gone. How many years did you live there? It looks like beautiful property. We see the same thing happening here, at Victoria Beach, where lovely log cottages once stood, are huge million dollar "cottages" with sculptured gardens and the "kicker" is, they are only occupied for about 4 weeks a year. The owners live in Florida, or Greece or South America. Ridiculous...says I!Love, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Too bad about that house. If I win the lotto I will buy it back and refurbish it.

Love,

Rick