Wednesday, May 2, 2012

FEAR

Moving on to Chapter 3 we look at the fear that can cause us to take flight or to flee.

For me the fear of the unknown and the fear of pain whether it is emotional or physical, cause me to worry.  To develope compassion it is important to face our own fears.  I remember the night of fear that felt almost paralysing that hit me when I realized I really did have lung cancer and would be having an operation to remove part of my lung.

Would I be brave enough?  Would I survive?  Would I have a lot of pain?  How long would I have to be in hospital?  When could I go walking again and be like my old self?

Now dad and I face the fear of growing older and also the separation from family; as they grow up and move away. We still worry about them all but miss the closeness of years past.

 One way to conquer fear is to gain as much knowledge as we can and accept our limitations.  I am so thankful dad is going to the doctor today.  He had coffee with Russ yesterday and decided to not carry on with the Keystones Ministries.  He went to the Hot tub and tried to swim a little.  Feeling less and less like himself.  Having pain is debilitating for sure.

Panteli took us out to the Green Lettuce for supper which did us both good.  Developed a few snake in the bottle pictures for Daniel with our little red-haired charmer!




The world around is also changing in what it values and how it teaches us to find meaning in life

If I know that fear can drive out compassion how can I resist the temptation to give in to fear of others?  Every human being struggles to be free and to be transformed.  I believe that this is living in the Spirit and  "finding within ourselves an honorable essence."


This is the big stump our daughter Sandra has started to dig out.  It is painful for her but I guess she must be fearless?

It was good to see Carol on Skype looking lovely ad relaxed.

I have taken on the task of composting our food and garden waste. 
Here is my bucket.


Every time we eat out and dad leaves a pile of chips on his plate I threaten to bring my bucket along.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My latest fear is that technoligy is changing so fast that soon I wont know how to lots of simple things. To turn on a tv you use to push a button or turn a knob, now when we have some one house sit I have to leave an instruction manual. How soon before I will be sitting here in the dark and cold because I dont know how to turn on the lights or the furnace. Sandra

Anonymous said...

The snakes in a bottle is a very powerful and fun image l keep coming back to it . Susan our redhead had snakes in a bucket she was very pleased and proud of them but l must say l was really glad when they made their escape. Jane

beth bennett said...

I so appreciate comments.

nancy-Lou said...

Beth, you are so honest in your writings, saying things that your friends might think, but not talk about....which gives courage to those who are going through similar changes and difficult times. Facing pain, illness, separation of family through distance,the thought of having to downsize and move, Knowing that others are going through similar times gives comfort. Keeping you both in my prayers. Getting old is not easy is it? Your comments regarding Karen Armstrong are interesting, and spurred me to look out her book. Thank-you, Love, Nancy

larry bennett said...

Yes the fear ( or more accurately the embarasment of looking like a little, old, bent over, man hobbling along, to the hot tub) is rather more than one (me) can intellectually face - physically i have no Choice!!