Sunday, May 6, 2012

CHURCH GOING

Sunday morning greeted me with welcoming sunshine.
 I had a good walk even saw my bunny rabbit again.




Panteli dropped by with his Time Horton's coffee to have a chat.  Livened  up the morning.  Before I realized it , it was time to drive over to the church.  There we meet and greet our friends as we find our places.  We are an unusual couple as we often sit in different places but most people sit in the very same place every Sunday.  There is a lot of happy chatterr before the music starts.  The organ and the piano and the banjo are the instruments.

I look up at the stained glass windows that represents different parts of our Christian story.  I will have to try to take better pictures.


The church has been referred to as a ship and it often goes through difficult waters.  In this place we have celebrated births and deaths so joy and sorrow have been felt very deeply here.  We have had moments of conflict but thankfully we are in a period of clear sailing.  We like our new minister and their are some young families attending.  We had another baptisum today.

This is the soul of the church which is more than a building but a life-giving place of shared concerns and blessings. We try to be friendly and reach out to any strangers and welcome them to be a part of all we are.  The church can be a scary place for those who do not know when to be silent, when to stand and when to sit, and how to follow along in the order of service.  I for one would like even less liturgy but I do understand the importance.

This is the alter and one of our ladies made this alter cloth.  It changes with the seasons.  I enjoy the feeling of belonging and finding a restful place to listen to the music and hear scripture read from this pulpit.  t is a time for me to hear wisdom that speaks out of the past and yet speaks to me today.  I find it is a place of learning about receiving and about giving.  When I am listening I am alone with my own thoughts and discover that brokenness can be mended and unworthiness restored.



This is art that our friend drew after a trip to Jerusalem.


I think we need a sense of mystery and reverence  in this troubled world of unbelief and mistrust.

The church made up of dear dear friends is as necessary to me as the fresh air and beauty I enjoy on my walks, also the ground I walk upon and the sky above me.

We now have to lock the doors as we leave as the church also attracts those who profane and steal and mock it's presence. 



Enjoyed going out for lunch with a few friends after church.

Monday I am looking forward to driving over the bridges and up the mountain to celebrate Chris';s birthday at the home of Susan and Keith.  Craig will be coming too.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful blog. l a. You cover a lot of ground with this one , dear friend . l'm feeling exited about about our trip to England o f once again visiting the places so important to me in my youth and visiting with old and cherished friends and relatives. Love Jane.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Chris. Looks like your weather is on
N the improve. Got my tooth removed by the dental surgeon yesterday. Not much fun.
Ken