Monday, July 15, 2013

ADMIRATION

P7071772

Anyone who wants to see peace and justice return into a world where there is so much corruption and violence and abuse feel great admiration for the young Pakistan teen who was shot by the Taliban and now is urging that there is education for all, male and female.
It is a miracle that she has survived and continues to have the courage to fight against hopelessness. 
Malala Yousafzai is not full of hate but courageous faith in the ability of education to bring a solution to violence.

She began her speech to the United Nations with a Muslim prayer and her message is that as we learn to understand and trust each other through education that books and pens can become our weapons.

I have found personally that writing a prayer helps me to anchor my soul and renew my mind.  I am so thankful that in times of darkness and despair I can pray.  I acknowledge that my abilities are inadequate to meet the challenges of life.  Sunday would become very challenging as we went to visit dad's cousin.  We arrived and she was very upset and miserable.  We had had an invitation to Jane's for lunch and we were wishing we had gone.  But our presence seemed to calm her so it was a good thing we had stopped in.

I have the greatest admiration for the nurses, the volunteers, and even the chef who try so hard to please people and make sure they have the right care.  Some patients can be difficult that's for sure.
One of the volunteers writes that the greatest healing occurs when all fear and anger and guilt and confusion can be exposed and acknowledged and accepted.

After all we are all human.

To be honest I am finding church a little dull and boring and I miss the feeling of intense joy and presence of the Holy Spirit at the Vineyard Church.  Yes some honest emotion can be healing whether it is a tear or a sigh or a prayer of confession.  Our emotions can be a language that reveals what we are really feeling.

'Thank you God for hearing my prayer and for the awesome power and privilege that you have given each one of us and I am thankful for all I have received and all that is to come.  I humbly offer my prayer of gratitude."
-Iyanla Vanzant from "Every Day I Pray."

Prayer opens the heart to the wonder of possibility and should be followed by silent listening.

5 comments:

Sandra said...

Yes, it is an amazing gift for that girl to be able to forgive. She must have very good parents, or other mentors who have been good examples to her. Whirlwind weekend for me. It was very nice to get to see everyone and then help Shawna put more of the baby room together. Sandra

beth bennett said...

I am totally confused Was there a baby shower? Did Shawna receive our gift? When did you get back?
love mom

Shawna said...

Hi Grandma!

Yes there was a baby shower! And I did receive your gift and I loved it. The light is already in his room waiting to help me read some books to the little one! Thank you so much for the gift and I can't wait to see you when we come down in August. It was so nice to see Sandy too. It was way too short but i guess I will take what ever I can get.

How are you and Grandpa doing?

I just woke up and it feels like I am in Vancouver because the rain is just pouring down. My animals won't even go outside cause the rain is coming down so heavy!

Well I miss you guys so much and are counting down the days till I see you in August. Love you very much and thank you again for the baby gift!

Anonymous said...

Kids are finally feeling better , Matthew enjoyed his day at school. Jasmine spent the day Nona's and from reports she is better and taking her medicine . Melina had a busy morning driving kids to school then dropping Jassy off. I was up at 2am to go to work ,another busy day , but the silver lining is that the time flies ( no pun intended) when I am at work. Jesse is looking fwd to the Canada trip. I should confirm the tickets and car hire in the next day or so.
Ken

beth bennett said...

All good news.
love mom