Monday, July 29, 2013

SERIOUSLY

P7251940
I think I have always taken life too seriously.  I come by it honestly as my parents certainly did too.
Going to school I worked hard to get good marks and did my homework without being told.

When I got married I took this seriously thinking  I should always be up and make breakfast for your dad and also make him a good lunch every day.  The house should be clean and the laundry done.  I thought I was being very wifely grown-up and loving. I wish I had read some funny books that could have lightened up my expectations

We all need time to smell the flowers and appreciate beauty.  "Don't hurry, don't worry you are only here for a short visit."  W Hagen    So now we eat at any time and whatever we feel like.


P7261968
I tried very hard to make perfect pies but never really succeeded.  That is why lemon pies became the family favorite, also flapper pie and peanut butter cookies.



Yes, having a baby was a very serious task too.  I read lots of books on the right way to take care of your baby.  The important thing was to have a routine so I did that very seriously.  Then I discovered babies teach you how to be silly and have fun!

Then babies become children who become a part of you  and teach you about  laughter and fun!

  P7271991
Panteli looking very serious but thinking of his next joke!

Take time to laugh-it is the music of the soul!    -Old English saying.

6 comments:

larry bennett said...

yES DEAR - yOU DID ALL THOSE THINGS - AND YOU DID THEM SERIOUSLY AND WITH VERY VERY GOOD RESULTS WHEN WE LOOK AT ALL OUR OFFSPRING AN THIERS! BUT DO NOT FORGET YOU ALWAYS HAD THAT SENSE OF HUMOUR WE ALL LOVED AN STILL DO! I STILL APPRECIATE YOUR GETTING UP AT 5AM TO SEE ME OFF TO WORK AN I STILL REMEMBER THOSE PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICHES WITH LOVE.

larry bennett said...

Oh - and I forgot - that first apple pie - how you were so serious about making the perfect apple pie - an how you (an I) laughed so much we cried as you put it together like a gig saw puzzle.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I could have sworn I left a comment this morning. We certainly go through phases, not knowing how to do something and wanting to so badly, to doing so often we do it with out having to think about to, to now, not really wanting to do it so much and so losing some of the quality. At least that is how I find it. Sandra

Anonymous said...

Whats a flapper pie? Lemon meringue pies were great.Also your
bran muffins were the best ever.
Ken

beth bennett said...

Yes the good old days when I baked muffins fresh and ready for lunch or after school. Flapper pie is made with graham cracker crumbs and I think a pudding filling.
Sandra I think your comment confused me but that happens a lot these days.
love mom

nancy-Lou said...

I was chuckling at your comment about how we took life so seriously when our children were young....do you remember, Dr. Spock's book on babies. It was considered "the bible". Now it is terribly outdated with new ideas and ways. Didn't we bake a lot in those days? Now it too, has almost become a lost art as the younger crowd buy ready made things. Peanut butter cookies and lemon merangue....geesh how does one spell that, pie were two favourites in our household too. Such a sweet note from Larry, especially the apple pie that somehow needed to be put together. Never mind Beth, my first try at boiling eggs resulted in black eggs...somehow got distracted! Never live that one down! It is like fall here...cool nights and gentle days...really nice, but not the greatest beach weather for the 3,000 summer residents here. BUT I'll take it!Love, Nancy