Thursday, September 19, 2013

ENSHROUDED

P9162527
Feeling so fortunate to be alive!

She was standing near the door right where I would pass by.  She was covered all in black except for her eyes.  I  wonder how it must feel inside her face is it all hot and stuffy?  Her eyes look a little frightened as she realizes how different she looks than everyone else in the store.
I walk towards her and I would like to ask her if she has a choice about wearing that burka or is she forced to do it?  Instead I smile at her and say that I think the sliver sparkles in her head dress are lovely.  Her brown eyes smile back at me and she nods thank you.
One advantage I think to myself is all my wrinkles would be covered especially on my neck.
She is probably young and beautiful while I am facing the complexities of aging and slowing down.

"We are all related to one another
What ever one does,
Or what happens to another, touches all."

We live in a world of so much violence and tragedy that can allow fear into our minds and hearts and even dreams.  I know that sometimes part of my problem is a negative self-judgemental attitude that a world that demands performance pushes upon me. 

I look back at my life and see the experiences that have profoundly changed me.  Giving birth was one of the most powerful and then being a mother who loved each child the best she could.  My desire is to live in this world with joy and not with fear.  Facing twice a threat to my health that was life threatening; first the wrong diagnoses from the doctor who limited my days of life to the night I faced the fear of lung cancer when I had to face all that could happen and reach out for courage again from a loving God who somehow has turned my life into a spiritual experience that I am able to share with others.

Dad and I had a late lunch sitting out in our back yard and enjoyed the warmth of the fall sunshine.
He had had a big bike ride and was pretty darn tired and I had packed the car and gone to the store.
When I got home a lady came to the door saying she had no food and did I have any cans she could have.  I had a few but instead gave her some food that we always seem to have extra of.  You try to help people and I think that if I do it with a generous heart maybe that is the best I can do.

Life is enshrouded with mystery that at times seems like a puzzle that needs solving.

Very straightforward today, cut the lawn and clean up the garden before the rain comes and do visiting.

I pray first for myself this morning.  I am so thankful not to have to be driving in the heavy traffic that has gotten so bad lately.


P9162536

5 comments:

Sandra said...

That is very kind of you mom to speak kind words rather then silently judge as most of us do. Yes, the traffic is always a bit of cross to bare. Once in a while all the lights seem to be green and I get a swift commute, other times I get to practice a lot of deep breathing! Sandra

Anonymous said...

Last day of school today. Two weeks off for the kids.
Henry the cat we are looking after for two weeks , wakes at 6am, but is fitting in well. Jasmine loves him and carries him around all day ...and night !
Ken

beth bennett said...

Our cats are still visiting us every day.

Found Melina's cap she left here.
Nothing else has turned up.

Enjoy the holidays!
love mom

nancy-Lou said...

On our last trip to the big city, I noticed how many people from other countries have immigrated to Winnipeg and how wonderful it is to see their colourful ways of dressing...from the lovely saris ladies from India wear to the colourful and stylish clothes and jewellery and head dresses the ladies from AFrica wear. I too, like to give them a smile or a few words. I am sure they come across some discrimination too and that is really sad. Canada really is becoming a nation of people's from all over the world in contrast to the waspish Canada that we grew up in. Love it! We are off the to city once again...twice this week. Have a great day, Beth and Larry, Love Nancy

Anonymous said...

Nice that you acknowledged the lady in the burka Mom.

Love,

Rick