Sunday, December 29, 2013

METAMORPHOSIS

PC260247

Hopefully each year we will grow a little wiser as we look back at all the wonderful times we have had together.

As dad and I grow closer to the end of our lives we are the product of a lifetime of experiences, some sad and mostly happy times.  I want to have courage and patience knowing that this is what can develops character and especially a reverence for life!  All life!


PC260257
Dad sitting in the Seniors Home, a very pleasant place but we realize that we are both very independent cusses who are not ready just yet to be moving anywhere.
I have found that many things have changed my life, like marriage and motherhood . friends and family and  faith  and belief and also books I have read.

I do have a love for spiritual literature but also mystery stories.  So reading the Bible and trying to find a God of love has been a challenge, but believing keeping these old stories alive is important.

Among my favorite books is the one called "My Grandfather's Blessings by Rachael Naomi Remen, M. D.  I also have gained much by reading Henri Nouwen's books on prayer and spiritual direction.
I also liked Harold Kushner's book "Who Needs God".  These and many other books have touched me deeply and I can reread them many times over.
 
Right now I am reading "The End of Your Life Book Club" by Will Schwalbe.  I enjoy discovering new books that are mentioned there.  I can relate to many of the stories about his life and his relationship with his mom and dad and his last months together with his mom discussing literature.
I can relate to some of the foolish things she did as a mom and her love for her family as well as books!

The article in the Vancouver Sun says that spiritual contemplation and prayer can have positive effects on the brain. Contemplative prayer helps us discover the presence of God that is always there.
Our prayers are important especially when we pray for God's will to be done.

Prayer is a source of energy that can calm the heart and renew the spirit of divine light within. 
It gives daily strength for our daily needs. 

I find prayer gives me great comfort and will help me through this time of metamorphous.

I pray that all my family will find ways to be kind and caring.

I am very blessed when some one says they will pray for me.

Prayer is Words with Wings.

Sunday morning a short walk in the misty rain.  Met Johanna and we walked together.  After a rest dad and I will be going to church.
DSCN1875

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, life is a journaey and there are many crossroads. We need to choose wisely.
xo
Panteli

Sandra said...

At the memorial service yesterday it was a bit strange, as while most of the people had some level of grey in their hair, they did not seem all that much older than me, as of course they are not. I am no longer the young woman I was going to grandparents funerals and feeling invincible. Lincoln is very considerate in that he keeps his fussy time for his mom and dad and smiles and bubble blowing for Nana and Grampy. Sandra

nancy-Lou said...

I would not want to leave our home either...we are so comfortable here...been here 37 years, I hope we can continue on for quite a while. With Carl being disabled I have to do most of the work and the things I cannot do, we ask our sons or hire people. But if it becomes too much for us or our kids, we will have to move...it is inevitable. Carl will be 76 soon and I will be 70 in June.
There are times I think moving in to a senior's home would be a good idea...a lot less work, meals made for me....hmmmm I could be really lazy. BUT we pride ourselves in being independent don't we?
Hopefully you and Larry will be able to stay on in your home too!
It is not an easy decision is it?
I have made notes on the books you like to read and wish I could take out books from the Winnipeg Library. I will ask at our local library about them. Thanks for that Beth.
I see you took your hobo friend some treats...that was so thoughtful of you. I am sure he enjoyed them. I feel so badly for the homeless in Winnipeg, with the overnight temperatures going down to -37. With wind chill it was -47 and the power went out about 4am. The house was darker than the ace of spades! The power came on after 2 hours and the inside temp was 15. Well I didn't mean to write so much....take care, love, Nancy