Friday, September 4, 2015

HOW

P9040640How can I help?

Listening to the radio and reading the newspaper the stories are heartbreaking of the refugees trying to escape from war and violence.

Maybe the picture of the wee boy lying dead on the beach will stir up some needed response.  The problem then becomes how can we help?

We live in a world of beauty and grace but also ugliness and bitterness.  I know that if I am to take the words of Jesus into myself I must believe they were spoken from the heart.  I know the United Church of Canada takes social justice issues very seriously and will be involve in raising money or works of action to help in this situation. 

I believe that the sense of community helps us to be of some help.  Part of being human is seeing the needs of others and trying to respond by bring light and hope as we reach out to rescue those dying to be able to be free.

Something I take so much for granted.

Friday night Tavia and her husband came for a visit.  She is radiant as she is expecting again and I know her faith would be how she coped with the lost of her first baby.  It is good these girls keep in touch and we do enjoy their visits!

P9030650




 Dad and Panteli on their new sundeck.  He was working hard when we arrived and dropped off Haiti.

I walked down to the little duck lake which was a long walk for me.  Luckily dad came and picked me up.  Day by day!



5 comments:

Sandra said...

I was thinking last night how this is one of those times I miss being part of a church, it is much easier to feel like you are helping when you are a part of a group.

Because really, what can I do?

Anonymous said...

See you at Ben's soccer game this morning!Panteli

nancy-Lou said...

Yes, the videos and photos of the refugees are heartbreaking and remind me of what happened in WW2....it is poignant that Austria and Germany have opened their doors to them and shame on the countries who turned their back...Hungary sure has a short memory.
The numbers are overwhelming and their needs many....I expect my country, Canada to step up to the plate and I hope folks in Canada will open their homes.

We can help by sending our MP's an email asking for their support in parliament regarding CAnada taking in our fair share of refugees. Not being 15th in the world on a per capita basis.

That was a great accomplishment, Beth, walking further to the duck pond....do you take your phone with you in case you are tired? Our weather has been suffocatingly hot...with the high humidity for days and days. It is just too uncomfortable to take Max and Bella for a walk...they start to pant right away. BUT tomorrow the cooler and drier weather is moving in so we can start again. We all miss the walks.

Is Ben playing soccer in a higher league now? How old is he Beth? He has grown up so much this last little while. Did you go to the game today? It means so much to the kids to have their family there to watch. We used to enjoy watching our sons play hockey...even as adults they had a team.

Love, Nancy



beth bennett said...

Yes I went to the game. Ben is 13.

love beth

beth bennett said...

No Ben is 12. The tournament is for 13 and under.