Sunday, August 23, 2009

THE ROAD

I LOOKED TO JESUS, AND I FOUND IN HIM MY STAR, MY SUN, AND IN THAT LIGHT OF LIGHT I'LL WALK UNTIL TRAVELLING DAYS ARE DONE. --- BONAR


As a child we had no car so I would take the bus or ride my bike. Our holidays would be journeys on the train. I never got over the excitment of reaching out to the conductors hand as he helped me up those huge steps into the train. We travelled with our lunch but had breakfast and dinner in the dining car. We slept in bunks with everyone scurrying back and forth to the bathroom.

But the things I loved best was looking out the window and as we slowed down through the small towns I would see places I would love to live. I loved small houses with big yards and often saw children playing with dogs and I thought how wonderful that would be. We were not allowed to have a dog but I read every dog story in the library.

So even today as I go for a walk I see places that I just feel my heart responding to; just because I like to dream. I am very happy in our home now and I like our neighbors and friends. The barking dog is barking much less I think because new people moved in the other side of their house and maybe complained. These neighbors do not speak to us so it is hard to befriend the dog.

I want dad to walk along the road where Janet and I walk because there is something about an open road that is invigorating.

It would have been great fun to wlk along the road with Jesus and talk and laugh with him. Jesus showes us that faith is like a road that we travel that is apart of our lives of discovering the sacred in ourselves and in each other. The road is not always smooth and at times it seems very long and we feel very exhausted but we discover new strength in ourselves and new hopes and dreams.

No comments: