Saturday, January 29, 2011

CHURCH

A boat takes us to many places and I think that the church has been compared to a boat with the ability to also take us from our past into the future.

When I open the door to the church Sunday morning I am greeted by greeters but also noisy and what seems like irreverent chatter.  I am happy to see my friends and I have a feeling of belonging.  This has taken awhile because we have been away for several years.  I am happy that we have a banjo playing minister who is helping us to make this time and place more joyous.  I think that feeling good is about doing good with a cheerful heart.  I am encouraged to keep going and doing my best.  I am thankful that when I sing with everyone else my false notes are drowned out by the gifted voices of others so that it sounds like one voice.

I have been reading about a grown woman born Jewish but only returns to her faith by the influence of her daughter.  She decides to take part in a bat [f] mitzvah after being touched by her daughter's experience.  This is usually a coming of age ceremony for young teen-agers.

It is very serious and important step that includes includes the person singing their own song and sharing their own interpretation of the texts they have chosen.  The family also take part.  The part I like best is when her daughter opens the Ark of the Torah and takes out the Torah and gives it to her.  She starts walking through the congregation hugging the sacred book and receiving joyful hugs from all.  She ends up dancing with pure joy and happiness.  There is music and there is laughter.  What a celebration!

Most of all there is remembrance of family members and the history from which we have come.  The Jewish people lost their temple and have replaced it with the wearing of prayer shawls that can be put on any time or place.  There is a risk in becoming involved in a church knowing this is a first step into the unknown.

There is a time and a place to experience the flood of unconditional love that surrounds us all.

No comments: